normal.dotm in Word for Mac 2011?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, Aug 12, 2013.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

A very basic problem which i have not been able to solve:

1. How do I create a new normal.dotm or modify the existing one so it becomes the new normal.dotm in Word for Mac 2011 running Lion?

2. How do i create a custom theme to go with the template?

I've checked everything I could find on Google and nothing becomes permanent. I tried making modifications to a new blank document, then saving as a dotx and it opens with the modifications, But then, when I open another new document it is the old normal. I also tried saving it as macro-enable .dotm file in My Templates. Taht didn't eork either. When i open Word it still loads the old .dotm. I have no idea where it's coming from.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I found something on MS support that talks about a setting for "prompt to save normal.dotm". Perhaps this will help here. Of course that's for Word 2007 for Windows but I would dig around in preferences in word for Mac and I bet the setting is in there somewhere.

I would think the file you are looking for is saved in your home folder in "~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Office 2011" or something similar, (where ~ is the Unix shortcut to your home folder) . Again, if you find the setting in preferences, you don't need to go manually digging for the file.