iPad Normal for Apple store to open a brand new unopened iPad air being returned?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aneftp, Nov 23, 2013.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

Just a question.

I ended up returning an unopened iPad air 64gb cellular model.

In fact it was still in the FedEx brown box unopened.

Return was easy. But the employee had to get his manager to come over. Not only did they open the brown box (obviously to check against fraud).

But they proceeded to open up the sealed iPad air box also.

Kinda of a waste now? Maybe they will just resell the iPad air as a refurb? Or use it as a Genius Bar refurb replacement?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They're probably prohibited anyway from just putting the box back up for sale as new, and they want to be sure it didn't get damaged in transit. Once it leaves Apple's hands, they have no control over what happens to it and no idea what the carrier or the user did with the item, even if it appears to be still sealed in box. It's not hard to make a box appear to be sealed with some cling wrap and a hair dryer, so they just need to make sure everything is still there and in one piece.

Most certainly it'll be designated as a "refurb" for some lucky buyer or warranty replacement recipient.

3. iCarabma macrumors 6502

Damaged in transit or a shrink wrapped rock.

It's totally normal, unfortunately they can't take people's words for it.

4. nabwong macrumors regular

As someone who has been con into buying a shrink wrapped iPod on Craigslist a long time ago, Apple is doing the right thing. When I opened my shrink wrapped iPod, it had engravings and scratches. There are many dishonest people out there.

5. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

Ok. I feel bad. But I am going to get an air. But both target and best buy have iPad airs on sale this week.

The iPad air had been sitting in my office unopened cause I was out of the country for 10 days on vacation (I literally got it the morning I left and didn't touch it). than I found out about the Black Friday sale.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Good business practice. After all, it would not be hard to "shrink wrap" and then return it.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

I bought a 100-piece craftsman socket set from Sears one time - brand new, shrink- wrapped. and it was full of rusty old pieces that said "made in korea" on them. Somebody had bought the set, replaced the craftsman sockets with garbage, shrink-wrapped it and returned it and Sears just put it back on the shelf... it happens

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It would be foolish for Apple not to check.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

I've heard about people buying iPads from Walmart and ended up with rocks in the sealed box so you can't be too careful.

10. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

I dont blame Apple. Back in the day when the Palm V was the hottest toy to obtain i went to a local retailer (BB) to purchase during lunch. Did not open until late in the evening after work and dinner. Got a rock inside. By this time the retailer was closed.

Had to wait till lunch next day and manager was skeptical. He went to the back and proceeded to open five more boxes finding all rocks before finding one that actually had a unit inside. I inspected the shrink wrap of the OEM and the one i got with the rock and it was close but there was a slight variation in the mil thickness of the wrap.

11. Ieo macrumors 6502

It's not hard to shrink wrap a box. It's good policy to double check returned items, you never know what kind of mischief people will cook up if they think they're getting a free $500 iPad.

12. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

They're also required to verify the serial number on the rear of the iPad to verify the owner is returning the same iPad.

13. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

14. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I returned a rMini on Friday that I had received that day from an online order, still sealed in the box. The employee just looked up the order and processed the return. Never opened the box. Guess it depends on the store.

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Must have been an inside job with all of them like that.

----------

So what happened then