Normal for games on the iP4 to use so much battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

It's never been great on battery, but after 11 months, the games, particularly if they're shooters use about half the battery in 20 odd minutes. Is there anything that can be done?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    Yes, it's quite normal. Third-person shooters, racing simulators, and other intense 3-D graphics games require a lot of CPU and GPU processing. Along with increased power consumption, you may also notice your iDevice gets hotter, and it's not just from your hands.

All of this combined with typical battery capacity depletion makes for some very short runtimes when gaming on your iDevice. FYI:
    From About iPhone Batteries

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for all your replies. I had the phone 1 year in February and I don't think I'm imagining that the battery is far worse than it's ever been, and now I have to avoid playing any type of games to get me through the day with email and calls. Such a shame. And I have another year of the contract to go so don't expect much more for playing games on it.

Are those battery 'apps' rubbish?

Thanks again for replys

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

From the previously linked article.
    Do this, it allows the smart sensors to recalibrate. That may be your only issue. Obviously some degradation with age, but the calibrations tend to drift and a fully drain til device shuts off and long full charge (e.g. overnight) should correct.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, most nights or days it does go down and off itself, Is that bad to let it do it too often, and too many full charges, or should I do more at 20% or so?