Normal for games on the iP4 to use so much battery?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
It's never been great on battery, but after 11 months, the games, particularly if they're shooters use about half the battery in 20 odd minutes. Is there anything that can be done?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
Yes, it's quite normal. Third-person shooters, racing simulators, and other intense 3-D graphics games require a lot of CPU and GPU processing. Along with increased power consumption, you may also notice your iDevice gets hotter, and it's not just from your hands.

All of this combined with typical battery capacity depletion makes for some very short runtimes when gaming on your iDevice. FYI:
A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles.
From About iPhone Batteries

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thank you for all your replies. I had the phone 1 year in February and I don't think I'm imagining that the battery is far worse than it's ever been, and now I have to avoid playing any type of games to get me through the day with email and calls. Such a shame. And I have another year of the contract to go so don't expect much more for playing games on it.

Are those battery 'apps' rubbish?

Thanks again for replys

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Thank you for all your replies. I had the phone 1 year in February and I don't think I'm imagining that the battery is far worse than it's ever been, and now I have to avoid playing any type of games to get me through the day with email and calls. Such a shame. And I have another year of the contract to go so don't expect much more for playing games on it.

Are those battery 'apps' rubbish?

Thanks again for replys
From the previously linked article.
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
Do this, it allows the smart sensors to recalibrate. That may be your only issue. Obviously some degradation with age, but the calibrations tend to drift and a fully drain til device shuts off and long full charge (e.g. overnight) should correct.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks, most nights or days it does go down and off itself, Is that bad to let it do it too often, and too many full charges, or should I do more at 20% or so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.