Normal for icons to go blank when scrolling cover flow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by analytical44, Aug 7, 2009.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

I am happily enjoying my new 13" MBP but I do have a couple issues that I am seeking some clarification about. When I browse through finder in the cover flow view, about 75% of the time the icons of the files will flash between the icon and a blank icon image. Is this normal? Is this a result of the graphics card, the hard drive, or something else? I did a search earlier and read that it may be that the stock drive cannot write the images fast enough when scrolling. Any validity to this?

Also, when I view the iTunes visualizer, at points when I freeze the vizualizer (hit F) and the camera zooms into a bright section, the screen flickers, as if it cannot handle the "explosions" of light up close. Is this normal and is this the result of the 9400m?

Would upgrading to a WD Scorpio Blue solve either of these problems (particularly the cover flow icons)?

2. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

3. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Yep, totally normal. The problem with CoverFlow is it does not cache. Same with portable devices, like iPod's. Why it can't just cache thumbnails, I have no idea.

If you wait on one cover, does it eventually load?

4. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, so based on this, improving the HD would solve my problem? Do any of you users with 7200 or faster 5400 drives experience this problem?

Yes it does load. Sometimes it'll like show the icon, flash to a blank icon, and then show the icon again. Sometimes it loads immediately with no problems. The video I posted shows what I mean more clearly.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It doesn't have to do with your HDD. That's how the OS is. You would think when Apple introduced Cover Flow it would stay there but it goes away whenever you close the window. Happens for the Cover Flow for Safari bookmarks as well. Like a poster said, he has to do with cacheing.

6. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

That just seems silly. One of their most marketable (though not necessarily extremely useful) features, and it's this badly flawed? So you're saying this happens on all macs, regardless of the model? I have a hard time digesting that.

Any users of the Snow Leopard beta: has this issue been addressed?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Happens on mine, happens in models at the Apple Store. Happens to you. Hopefully something is changed in Snow Leopard because I really do like Cover Flow.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, this is the way it is. It might seem like a huge flaw to you, but to some of us it's not that big a deal.

Any users of Snow Leopard aren't allowed to tell you anything yet. But there are a lot of improvements there so be patient (hint, hint) ;)

9. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, well maybe I'll look forward to this issue being resolved in the near future then ;). Please don't get me wrong; by no means is this a huge issue for me. I love my new baby and love the OS even more. However, I do feel that this is an annoying problem that needs to be addressed by Apple. Just wanted to know if it was normal and if there was anything on my end that could be done to fix it.

Thanks for the replies people, my curiosity is now satisfied.