Normal For Screen to Shut Off When Plug Is Taken Off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuweiyu16, Sep 10, 2007.

1. shuweiyu16 macrumors member

Hi, I am just wondering if it is normal for my blackbook screen to go pitch black once my plug is pulled off.
    I am just asking because sometimes my screen does not go pitch black but sometimes it does.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Zianac macrumors member

That isn't normal at all... but... next time when the screen goes pitch black try and use the keyboard to increase the backlighting to see if that fixes the problem...

3. reh macrumors 6502a

I suspect you had the screen brightness set pretty low when the Macbook was plugged into power. There's a setting in system preferences to reduce the brightness of the display when switching to battery power. Might try disabling that.

System Preferences -> Displays -> Options -> Settings for "Battery" -> uncheck "Reduce the brightness of the built-in display when using this power source"

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Just to be certain, are you using this in clamshell mode? If not then go to the post just above mine. ;)

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

This Macbook I'm writing on (and presumably all of them) remembers separate brightness levels for plugged-in-use and battery-powered-use. It sounds like yours when on battery power has remembered a minimal screen brightness setting. Unplug the power and use the F2 key to increase brightness. If that works, then that should automatically be remembered - try plugging in and unplugging again.