Normal GPU temp?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by VPrime, Apr 27, 2013.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hey, I think my 2011 27" imac may be over heating..

On idle the GPU diode 65-70 degrees Celsius and heat sink is ~60.
    Earlier after playing CS:GO for about 20 minutes the computer shut off on my randomly.
    When turning it back on the GPU temp was 95 degrees.

What is the normal temperature range for the 1gb 6970m?

Thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Those temps are not unduly high, but if the Mac shuts itself down it could be the built in protection circuit shutting down due to over heating...first port of call would be to check your fans, and if possible clean them...Not an easy job with an Imac though.

In order to check that your fans are operating, try installing SMC fan control...it's free and will give you a visual on the RPM's:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

3. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the temps are not too bad.

I did install SMC, and ran each fan individually to see if they would power up. They each still function well.

My next step was to get a can of compressed air tomorrow and try to clean it out the best I can without removing the display.
    Hopefully that makes it a bit better, if not I guess I'll remove the glass and do a better job at cleaning :)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, probably have dust on the blades...a little air should help, but I don't think those temps. are anything to worry about..my old iMac ran way hotter when doing intensive stuff. The new cooling system Apple have come up with is way better....My 27" just gets mildly warm when flying X-Plane at maxed out settings...the 2011 used to get really hot, but I never had it shut down on me...it could of course just be a software issue.:)

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I had a 2011 iMac before it's being replaced by Apple for having constant display problem. And the culprit could be excessive heat.

Running Lion at relatively idle load, my GPU temp could be 50-65C and while ongaming it could reach around 85C. All done without tuning fan speed.

All in all, yes .. Pre 2012 iMac runs significantly hot. If you have the money, I'd suggest you upgrade to 2012. It's faster and relatively cooler even without the need of smcfancontrol.