Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MKelleher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I have a 2008 17" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with a nVidia GEForce 8600M GT graphics card. About a month ago, the graphics started appearing corrupted and I took it into a local apple store and got it replaced.

Since then, I've noticed that the Graphics Processor Temperature is always much higher than the rest of the laptop. For example, starting it up in the morning, the CPU A Temperature Diode is 98.6 degrees F, Main Heatsink 1 is 95 degrees F, Memory Controller is 84 degrees F, battery is 78 degrees F. The Graphics Processor Temperature is 118 degrees F. After awhile everything heats up into the 120-130 degree F range, while the graphics processor is into the 160-170 range.

I'm just wondering if this is normal after having the logic board replaced or is a sign of a problem? With the original graphics card, I didn't notice such a difference between the temperature of the graphics processor and everything else.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The GPU usually operates at a higher temp than the CPU (varies depending on what you're doing), and your temps are well within the normal operating temperature range.

MKelleher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Thanks for the info. By any chance, do you know what the upper limit of the acceptable operating temperature for the nVidia GeForce 8600m GT is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.