NORMAL? Hinges on my New Macbook Pro So Tight. Like Prying Open an Oyster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VideoNewbie, Aug 19, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

first of all i am SO GLAD i changed out that dingy macbook air for macbook pro. the difference is UNCOMPARABLE...that retina screen is damn beautiful

now being that i have played around with both the new macbook pro and the macbook air i can say another thing that i noticed was significantly different- THE HINGE!

i just got my new macbook pro today and as many of you know unlike the older macbook pros with the "Release" button, the new ones dont come with any opening mechanism. u just have to open it by lifting it open

however when i tried to open the macbook pro it was surprisingly very tight. i literally had to pry it open like an oyster shell. (ok that is an exagerration) but the point is, it was very very tight.

i had no problem opening the macbook air it was light and opened easily

ive also played with many macbook pros in the store and granted those things get more use and abuse i was at the apple store the first day of release and dont remember those macbook pros being so tight at the hinge

did anyone else get a tight hinged macbook pro and is it normal?

2. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you might be trying to pull it apart, rather than lift the lid open.

How is it if you put the MacBook Pro flat on a table, and just put a finger or your thumb in the recess to lift up the lid without putting your hand anywhere else on the machine to open it? (i.e. don't try and hold it in place)

3. duckrabbit macrumors member

I've used both the air and the rMBP, and the rMBP's hinge is definitely *much* tighter. I have to hold the machine in place when opening it to prevent it from lifting off the table. The one I exchanged due to burn-in was equally tight. I'd bet yours is normal.

4. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Mine is tight as hell as well. I have to use both hands to open the lid.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This...

6. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I have the same problem actually, like the magnet is too strong. You cannot just lift open the lid, you'll lift the entire front of the computer off the table before it will separate. You have to use two fingers and pry the thing open. Doesn't bother me too much though, I use it in clamshell mode almost exclusively.

7. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Anything that is tight are much better... If you know what I mean;)

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

People used to complain it was too loose (circa 2008) and fell full open too easily. Never happy these people. I'd really like it to be too tight over too loose. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.:D