"Normal" MB + MBP Temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossgumbrell, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

Right, i have noticed sooooo many posts on this forum about temps of peoples computers and whether they are too hot or not, also, i have just noticed that my Airport card on my 2.2 BlackBook is running at 65C. Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here. Firstly is that too hot for the Airport to be running at? Ive only got Safari, MSN and iTunes open with Airport on, plugged in to mains.

Secondly, i think that by making a structure posting your system specs, with details of what you are doing along with your temps, it will allow people to have a quick look through to see if their Macs are running significantly hotter than everyone elses.

I will start with a pretty basic template:

System: 2.2ghz Macbook
    RAM: 2gb
    HDD: 160gb 5200rpm

Apps Open: Safari, MSN, iTunes
    Airport: On
    Bluetooth: Off
    Mains: Yes

Monitoring App: iStat Pro
    CPU In Use: 12%
    Fans: 1800
    CPU A: 46C
    Heatsink A: 45C
    Heatsink B: 46C
    Enclosure Bottom: 27C
    Northbridge 1: 45C
    Airport Card: 65C
    Mem Bank A1: 46C
    HD: 31C

2. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

not a bad idea, but idle temps are probably not the important ones since ambient affects them so much. If you wanna see where your temps REALLY get to, type yes>/dev/null into terminal, then open another window and do it again (to get both cores working) then record the temps after a couple minutes. Off the top of my head, I believe my CPU was at 86c (which is a little warm for me). I'll do this when I get home from work.

On a side note, anyone applied arctic silver 5 to there Santa Rosa MacBooks yet? I'm planning on putting some on mine this weekend (I have a some left from my last MacBook)

Cheers

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

2.2ghz Macbook Pro

Camino, iChat, iTunes and Mail are open. The machine has been powered on using these four applications for the past hour.

Bounces between 39 and 41 degrees Celsius.

Attached Files:

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. Ubercolios macrumors newbie

I use SMCFanControl to keep the fan at 3600 RPM, to lower the temperature. My MacBook is normally around 45-55 C, with Safari, iTunes, Mail, Adium and Quicksilver open :).

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

My Macbook pro stays at a comfortable 32-38c with itunes, firefox, adium, mail and iphoto running. SMCfancontrol at 3800rpm

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Apple says the average RPM fan speed on the Macbooks should be around 1800, mine hovers around 1700 at idle.

With Safari, mail, and iCal open these are my idle temps. Seem to be a bit warmer than others. Also running Leopard, 2GB rams, MacBook 2.16.

Attached Files:

8. Draddy macrumors regular

9. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

This is the 2.0 SR MacBook

Idle and under load. It peaks at 90c while waiting for the fan to finish spinning up.

I'm going to put some arctic silver 5 on it tomorrow. It lowered my previous macbook around 5 degrees.

Cheers

Attached Files: