Normal memory usage for kernel_task?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hannan8v8, Oct 30, 2014.

1. hannan8v8 macrumors newbie

Hi, My rMBP is only 3 weeks old. I only use it for browsing and watching movies, sometimes i use keynote and pages. When I switch on my rmbp, the kernel_task usage shows around 350-400mb, as I increase the usage, it goes up to 650-700mb.

Is it normal for kernel_task to use that amount of memory?

2. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Sounds normal to me. Kernel_task is supposed to increase as you launch apps.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Sounds about normal. Are there any performance issues with your rMBP that are causing you to look at RAM use?

4. hannan8v8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I don't use my macbook for editing videos or photos. Just casual browsing, mail, keynote, pages, and vlc player. Using all that within 1hr causes the ram usage to increase to around 7.5gb..my macbook has a 8gb ram. Is this normal?

Do all the MacBooks have kernel_task? I went to the apple store this morning and checked out the models on display, there was no kernel_task on the activity monitor..how is this possible?

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

OS X will use as much RAM as it can to keep everything as snappy as possible. It is entirely normal to see this sort of RAM usage.

The kernal_task is your operating system so all macs have it. One possible reason that you didn't see kernel_task on the activity monitor of the apple store is that you were looking at 'user processes' rather than 'all processes'.

6. hannan8v8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, feel better now.