"Normal" Ringtone in iTunes Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ignus graius, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ignus graius macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a song in the iTunes Store that might have a sound effect of a normal cellphone ringtone? I had one that I used before the 1.1.1 update but the update broke custom ringtones for me and I don't want to downgrade and lose my iTunes library.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you downgrade to 7.4 you will not lose your library...at least not on a mac. I just did it. Works like a charm.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It is unlikely Apple changed the iTunes database between 7.4.0 and 7.4.2, so if you export your database first before you downgrade, you can then re-import it into the earlier version of iTunes.

I just upgraded to 1.1.1 under iTunes 7.4.1 under OS X and all my custom ringtones survived.

4. sanford macrumors 65816

Do a search in iTunes for "sound effects". See if there's a phone ringer effect track you like, and whether or not you can make a ringtone out of it. There are several sound effects collections for sale on iTunes.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Great idea unfortunately you can't convert any of them :confused:

6. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

I was using iTunes 7.4.1 under OS X as well. iTunes said they were on the phone, but they didn't show up under the Sounds menu on the actual handset.

I guess because I've lost my iTunes library on Windows because of downgrading I thought it would be the same on a Mac. Regardless, I'm using 7.4.0 now and everything's great; my custom tones are residing safe and sound on my iPhone. Thanks guys!

EDIT:
    While they're on my phone, they do not emanate sound. I've tried using MakeiPhoneRingtone and this method, but to no avail.

7. milkshaw macrumors newbie

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

9. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing like a spambot reviving a year-old thread with a post on a (now) moot issue. Ah the nostalgia...

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Woah woah woah people... do this trick.

Download any mp3 file from the internet of a cool cell-phone sound
    Convert it to AAC using iTunes
    Rename the file from .m4a to m4r
    Add your new Ringtone to iTunes
    Sync the new Ringtone to your iPhone

This works in iTunes 8 and pretty much every iTunes that supports iPhone Ringtones. Very easy to do.

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

How should I know that he was a spam bot? Edit: oops, perhaps looking at the date might have done the trick. Nevermind, sorry! God damn spam bots.

12. brendan rcp macrumors newbie

Hi I am the owner of rcptones and I caught this thread in my site stats. I just want to say that I had nothing to do with this spambot. I wouldn't know the first thing about creating or employing some kind of forum bot; I can only assume it must be backlash from a post on boy genius report today.

My apologies in any case. And kudos to you, milani, a fellow warrior for normal ringtones! We have some freebies as well here.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Where are the freebies??

14. Acronym macrumors 68000

try www.mp3raid.com i was searching for songs on there because some of mine weere off iteunes for my ringtones they seem to have a pretty good selction of songs who knows maybe they have some good phone sounds too... only way is o check i guess.

no iam not a spam bot haha

15. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

check out http://audiko.net/ as it provides a very easy way to make ringtones for your iphone

16. ILBandit macrumors regular

Tons of tones here also.. http://www.myxer.com/Ringtones/popular/

No, I'm not affiliated with this site, I have just gotten a bunch of free tones from it for the past year or so, Mostly from the palm days, but all of the free tones can be downloaded in iphone format also.

17. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

No freebies here - just a lame hook to generate more traffic to his site... :rolleyes: