Normal Speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaroooon, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

I've got a 2.5Ghz Mid 2012 MPB 13" which to me is slow, but wanted to check speeds.

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you - I've downloaded the test but what do I actually do once I've opened it (there are various options)

I've read those two articles and done everything I can :(

4. simsaladimbamba

In XBench deselect all tests except the "Disk Test", in AJA System Test select the Macintosh HD as Volume, leave the Test as Disk Read/Write and press START, but it may not work, as it has a bug using the startup disk to benchmark.

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

5. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you:

[​IMG]

RE the AJA one, forgive my ignorance, in the first list do I select: Dik Read Existing File - and then Macintosh HD?

Page ins:723.5MB (0 bytes/sec)
    Page outs: 519.4MB (0 bytes/sec)

6. simsaladimbamba

Those sound about right for a 5,400 RPM HDD. If you want a faster storage device, look into SSDs.

As mentioned before, you select Disk Read/Write as Test, but that is not necessary anymore, since XBench worked quite fine.

Not knowing the "Swap used:" I guess you could use 1 more GB of RAM.

7. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah right, well at least I know it's not running too low then.

Swap used is 1.65GB

8. simsaladimbamba

Then 2 to 4 more GB of RAM will not hurt, and an SSD will improve your speeds drastically, as the storage device is still the slowest component of a modern computer, even SSDs can be considered slow compared to RAM and CPU.

9. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll definitely looking into getting more ram, and upgrading it to 8GB, however I'm not sure I can really afford an SSD right now, as much as I'd love one, I'm a student on a budget.

Right not the main thing bugging me is iMovie not working!!