Normal temp for MacBook Pro external monitor? Advice seeked.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hiimamac, May 5, 2009.

1. hiimamac macrumors 6502a

hiimamac

I noticed that my MBP gets up to 53C when browsing, using external monitor, 24" 1920x1200. Is this normal?

If I play a game, or flight sim (X Plane rules), it can get as high as 70C.

A mac apple article says you can keep the lid closed on the MBP but wouldn't that make it hotter? The screen is so large I don't need the MBP screen open but keep thinking it will be cooler. Also have it raised a bit so there is free space between bottom and desk.

Also, is there a way to speed up the external HD?
    Would eSata be faster boot vs FW 800?

I boot from external HD which is a WD hard drive that has FW 400/800 and eSata, am using the FW800 and it can take as long as 1.5 minutes. If I boot to internal it boots very fast (slower 5200 rpm hard drive).

Internal MBP notebook = Tiger
    External HD =Leopard.

Right now temp says 53° Celsius.
    Fans 5716

Thanks

2. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Mine usually is around 50 too just browsing and some times get over 60 too. When i have it plugged in AC that is. Without the AC is around 40 - 45.

Don't think that 70 is too hot in games as i usually se mine there or a bit higher.

Your fans work in very high speed as i see. Mine never got that high even when over 60 celcius:$

I never liked clamshell mode and never used it in any laptop i ve owned. Something about trapping temperature inside. On the other hand, the vents are when the screen is open are somehow blocked by it if you know what i mean. In Cyprus the climate is very hot anw, so i cannot keep it closed, as ambient temperatures are too high to begin with.

As for the FW 800 vs eSata i have no idea, but i ve just ordered an Express eSata card from ebay found on another thread. I would assume, with a 5400 RPM disk, it would not bottleneck as it has larger bandwidth than that. So you would get the same speed as if it was an internal hdd.

Feel free to correct me ppl.:)
    Cheers

3. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

My MBP always run around 50ish C temp with the external screen on. Sometimes could get more than 60 but no more than 63 and the fan would never be more than 2000rpm.

4. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I typically run mine all the time in clamshell mode off an external monitor and for normal browsing I see temperatures of between 50-60 C and for non-intensive work a fan speed for both around 2000 rpm.
    Chug into something CPU intensive though and I have seen it up near 80 degress Celsius and fans upto 6000 rpm.

Are you fans always running at those speeds?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's usually a compromise between, running hotter and running louder. Personally I like that it's running hotter, it's not like a few extra degrees will be that much of a stress on the computer; if you're really worried about temperature, you could always get SMC FanControl or something like that.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

with the integrated graphics, I see my temps running around the high 40s and mid 50s. A touch higher if I have a VMware session running. If I have the discreet GPU on, the temps are in the high 50s low 60s (celsius)

So basically your temps are in line with the many others here. I can see them spike in to the 70s if I'm doing something intensive, like handbrake, but then I crank up the fans to max (using smcFanControl) to bring them back down to a better number

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Same, if my Macbook Pro's not running over 80C then im not working hard enough.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Ha, mine usually pegs between 60 and 85 when I have CS4 & LR2 open, and maybe playing some Age of Empires :)
    Funny thing is, my fans don't start ramping until I hit ~75C