Normal TEMPERATURE MacBook Pro 2,4 17' ????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaos9k, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chaos9k macrumors newbie

Hi again...

I think my MBP heats a lot and I would like to know the normal temperature of the hardware system...
    (I can't find anything on the net related with this...)

MacBook Pro 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB ram

Thanks ;)

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

"I think it heats a lot" is VERY subjective. Get a temperature measurement app or widget like iStat Pro and post your temps.

3. chaos9k thread starter macrumors newbie

I know It's subjective that's why I asked for the normal temperature of this system...

here it is...
    [​IMG]

thanks exan

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

This is during idle with no background process (check Activity monitor, just make sure you select "Show all processes"), right? What is your ambient temp? Is this while connected to power or just on battery?

5. chaos9k thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a noob on macs...

[​IMG]

Right now I have the battery on with the cable (but I normally run mac without the battery in) My amb temp, what?

(BTW I'm using a provisory cooler XD [​IMG])

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't take out your battery, apple says so on their website, your comp powers down to half power so you don't short out anything should you lose power. It does not damage the battery to have it plugged in all the time. This may be related to your heat issues.

7. donmei macrumors regular

I was about to start my own thread, but figure I'll piggy back on this one.

My MBP 2.4/17" also seems to run hot.

Using istat the CPUA statistic typically runs 57 to 62 degrees C during normal browsing.

The battery is in.

The cpu utilization is rarely greater than 10% combined

Oh yes, and the fans NEVER exceed 2000 rpm.

Is this a normal operating condition? Is ther any way to crank the fans up? Is there any need to crank the fans up?

Don

8. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I believe this is normal operating temp. I just checked and my 15" MBP is at 57 degrees C. Usually the fans don't come on unless you're doing something really intensive like heavy video editing or whatnot. If you want, you can control the fans using SMCFanControl 2. It lets you set the minimum RPM the fans spin at and allows you to specify different speed profiles (for example, have the fans spin faster when using the battery, so that your lap doesn't become fried).

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, 74~80°C isn't substantially HOT.

Your MBP is capable of running to 90~125°C and your fans will kick in well before then. If the heat worries you, you can always download SMCfancontrol to override the default settings and boost the fan speeds yourself - just be aware. The faster the fans are, the faster they may require replacement. ;)

10. mynameisshawn macrumors member

Here's some temps I got:

Temp just after turning it on:
    [​IMG]

Temp after some idle time:
    [​IMG]

Temp after having the charger in for couple of minutes:
    [​IMG]

Temp when using Firefox with multiple tabs open:
    [​IMG]

And temp of Final Cut Express exporting HD video:
    [​IMG]

When exporting the video the fans were going around 6000-7000rpm :eek: but only for a moment.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

All the temps in this thread are normal. Computers get hot - its normal for them.

12. kabunaru Guest

PowerPC Macs (except the G5s) run cooler than Intel Macs, don't they? :rolleyes:

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

And how does this relate to this thread? :rolleyes:

14. kabunaru Guest

The newer the computer, the hotter they get. :rolleyes:

Older PowerPC Macs with G4s and G3s ran cool because the processors were simpler and were slower. Now with the faster processors and dual cores in the laptops and not to mention more thinner design, the temperatures are going to increase. :rolleyes:

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why all this roll-eyes madness? Was I disagreeing with you? Or What? :confused:

16. chaos9k thread starter macrumors newbie

17. mikeassk macrumors newbie

I just replaced BOTH of my fans because of that SMc fan control. Its nice to know your temps.... but dont do anything about it until it gets really hot... like 80-110 degrees C. Otherwise your fans will just die out quick.

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Thats whierd. Usually muffin-fans tend to outlast the equipment they cool. Like very usually. Even the cheap sleeve bearing ones.

Not doubting you, just think that's strange.

19. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Dear God, more of this?

How many times does this board need to be told, you are NOT speeding the fan up above default! You are overriding an Apple program that slows the fan down below default. Default is full power, like every other fan. Let me ask you this: If the fans ran at full power all the time, since they had no speed control, would you think they'd fail? Of course not. Computer fans last ages, since they have so few moving parts (just the bearing really, everything else is free-spinning). But once you throw in an OEM function to make them slow down, people get paranoid. You see the same thing on PC forums when people are told to juice their video card fans with RivaTuner. Computer fans typically last around 50,000 hours or so at full speed, maybe a little more. Considering the MBP has not existed for half that long, I'd say it's pretty difficult for a non-defective fan to die from overstress.

</rant>

20. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

"Normal TEMPERATURE MacBook Pro 2,4 17' ????"

:eek: 17'?! How did you even fit that in your house?!
    ;)