Normal users on paid dev accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yumunum, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I'm looking to know the same thing as this guy. How does it all work? Could a dev explain, or someone else who knows more than us?

I feel that this is an important topic, considering all of the posts I've seen today with dev's selling their slots, and other people like me looking into installing iOS 5 without being a developer.

2. benna macrumors regular

Can someone answer this please. Really having the same question.:eek:

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A developer adding you enables you to restored/update the betas whilst your UDID is still registered. If a developer later removes your UDID you will not longer be able to restore or update beta versions. This could be very bad as in the past betas have had expiry dates.

4. cuddykid macrumors newbie

Yeah, basically you can just download the iOS 5 beta from internet (google search will pull up a few results) then you can run it on your iDevice if the device's UDID is registered with a Dev account.

I can register your UDID for you for a small sum (to cover my costs). If you would like to then please PM me and we can discuss further.

5. benna, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

benna macrumors regular

So, just to make it clear.

A dev adds my UDID to his list, so that i could try out iOS 5 Beta 1.

If he later removes it from the account, does that mean I am screwed? Or will i be able to update to the nearest public build? May be iOS 4.3 or iOS 5

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is never any support for downgrading. So officially there is no way back to 4.x ever (there may be unofficial work arounds). If the beta expires and your UDID is not registered at that point you are screwed. You would have to wait for the final, public, release of iOS 5.

7. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Good questions I'd like answered too! I have another question though: after being registered on a dev's account, will I be on there until he removes me? For example, if he doesn't remove me, I could technically download and run iOS 6 beta next year on my device?

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, devices stay registered until they are removed or the developers account expires.

9. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Okay, so we'd be "screwed" meaning we couldn't do anything on the device, it'd be a paperweight? And then what if we got another dev to register the device? Would I be unscrewed?

Edit: And when does a beta usually expire?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes and yes.

Whenever it says it will on the developer portal. Anyone who should have access knows the date.

11. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

And only dev's have access to the portal, so being a non-dev, iis there a specific place I should look that would announce these dates for my notice, or is it usually a big deal and I'd see it on a tech blog first.

Also, do betas expire before the next beta build or public release? Or if I stayed ontop of things, and updated to each new build, would I be A-OK?

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have no idea. I just look on the portal

In the past Apple have released new betas a few days or even weeks before previous ones expired. Once they failed to release in time. Which is why they say it's for testing only and not to install it on your only phone/a device you need to work.

13. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

My device should now be registered by a nice chap here. Is there anyway to check before I install the beta? The last thing I want is a phone that is useless!

Also, if I did get removed for some reason, can I just find somebody else and re-add my UDID?

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Threads or posts with offers to sell dev slots aren't permitted here.

If you see such a post or thread, please report it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.