Normalize in Logic 9

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by fikkser, May 17, 2010.

1. fikkser macrumors member

Sometimes the damn audio files wont normalize, no matter how weak they are. Today I cut out a piece from a bigger track and wanted it normalized since it was to weak compared to the rest of the track and the normalize button just kept gray.
    Sometimes when I double click a track and normalize logic normalizes another track, I don't get it. But that's not very relevant to this problem. I solved it by bouncing out the piece of the track. But what to do when it won't normalize?

2. deej999 macrumors regular

Why you want to normalise everything? It doesn't improve the sound quality. Normalizing raises levels of audio files until the peak reaches 0dB. So the noise floor also gets increased. Better to use a compressor or limiter to increase loudness of your tracks.

deej

3. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

I think you are wrong. If you use compressor and limiter you might push up unwanted sounds such as room ambience. And I prefer not to use compressor when it's possible. By the way you can normalize to any level you want it to be.
    Why remove all the dynamics if you don't need to, maybe I don't want to compete in the loudness war? :rolleyes:

I want to normalize parts of a track because there's just too big differences in amplitude. The track contains multiple recorded clips of a guitar wich is consolidated as one wav, and for some reason the volume is different here and there. I got two options as I see it, either cut and normalize or automate the volume.

Still the normalize wont work, why? It seems to work at random for me.

4. mesq macrumors member

Normalising parts of individual tracks in a multitrack session is not the way to go

5. deej999 macrumors regular

compression can be used lightly! I am not saying to over compress or over limit it. But your point is taken. Still normalising is not the best way to go. I also will not enter a loudness war debate. Use volume automation.

Normalising is destructive and volume automation will give you greater control and flexibility over adjusting levels.

This tutorials in my opinion is invaluable -
    http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic401

deej