North VS. South

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Dec 16, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hey for history we've been studying the Civil War, not necessarily the war itself but the culture and acts that were put in place.

This led to me thinking, is the North and South that much different culturally anymore? Anyone that has experienced both have any stories or anything?

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

There's very little difference. Migration of southern cultural groups into northern regions and vise versa has essentially dissipated and serious long held resentments over the past century and a half (of course these haven't gone away), sure many racial organizations in existence still have roots in the south and there are still resentments but those are no longer restricted to regional ties and are weakened by the distance.

Economic reasons for the civil war are now nill since the entire country is relatively evenly spread out when it comes to agriculture and industry in this day and age as well.

But resentments do persist.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Agreed. For the past 15 years the Minnesota political scene is absolutely terrible. Either extreme Neo-Cons or extreme liberals are voted in. In Minnesota, Professional wrestlers and former actors are voted in. :rolleyes:

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

That really depends on what area of the south that you live. There are small pockets and communities that still have rebel flags and no colors allowed signs hanging on the business door

Also there are many racial organizations in existence that still have roots in the north as well. Racism is not limited to below the Ohio River and east of the Mississippi....

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just go to South Carolina or a few other states in the original South and then tell me there is no difference between the North and South. There are people in some of these areas who would secede in a heart beat.

P.S. I like SC, but facts are facts.

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'm from SC. I've lived in SC for my entire life (minus about 3 years).

People are less crazy in SC than in the north. It's a fact.

I've never met a person who wanted to secede.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Small pockets yes, not nearly as wide spread as previous generations, but believe it or not as far as most of these organizations go their roots do exist in the KKK (a predominately southern establishment as of the post civil war era) even as far west as Oregon where the skinheads gained a foothold in the 60's and 70's--the founder of that organization was a Klan member (his views were considered extreme even for the Klan and ties were cut...surprisingly enough). And yes there were and are other groups with no ties to the south, but the major racial ties do come from the south historically.

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Yes, there is a big difference culturally. Depending on the time of year, I'm living either in New England or the Deep South. Somewhere around mid-Tennessee, I can start to see a different attitude in the people I meet.

People in the north, from my experience, are more open and friendly. In the south, there is a certain feeling of anger boiling beneath the surface from so many people, for various reasons.

10. Queso macrumors G4

North FTW. The beer's cheaper, people are friendlier, and a typical house doesn't cost 30 times national average wage ;)

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think the OP was referring to the US but it's funny that there are North/South divides in so many countries.

In the UK, I've never been further north than Norfolk. :eek: I'll branch out eventually.

The south-eastern states of the US can be downright scary sometimes. Damn if that there florida isn't totally pretty though.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

We are talking about the U.S., right? :)

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It doesn't matter where in the world you live there will always be a measure of geographical cultural differences based on social history, economics, and geography.

As for the North South divide in the states, the cultural differences vary. I promise you growing up in urban New York is quite different than rural Mississippi. If you're asking about left over feelings or resentment from the Civil War that impacts culture, then I would say that it is minimal if it exists at all. I was born and raised in Nashville, TN and my parents were born and raised in Mississippi. While there's the occasional joke about someone being a "yankee", usually when they call a coke a "pop", I assure you there is no national identity confusion or intended cultural demarcation between North and South.

14. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'm from the South but I left immediately after high school to go to college. I would never live in the South again. The culture is quite different from what I've noticed. Kids just don't seem to want to leave after HS graduation in my town. I remember coming back the summer following freshman year of college and being called a "Yankee". I was like WTF? Weirdos. It's very odd to me that the farthest many of my classmates wanted to go was to the local football game. :confused:

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's the accent, ain't it?;) It's hard to sound cool with a Southern accent. I've met folks with an accent so thick, it's like they're speaking a foreign language.

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

WHATEVER!! People only complain about accents when they don't like the person who is doing the talking. I'll prove it.

"Hey ya'll, what's going on?" from this guy = "What a redneck did you hear how he talked?"

[​IMG]

ON THE OTHER HAND

"Hey ya'll, what's going on?" from this young lady = "Wow! She's so sweet and did you hear that cute accent she has."

[​IMG]

Don't even try and deny it. We all know it's true. :D

17. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Stories?

Here in Virginia our love for General Robert E. Lee as well as General U.S. Grant is parallel; matched by our love for the Union and the Confederacy. Time heals old wounds. The War of Northern Aggression, long time over, has healed and the Union is preserved. President Jefferson Davis and President Abraham Lincoln both had legitimate legal points in retrospect.

Cultural differences?

Well, I never saw good southern grits and ham served north of the Mason Dixon line. On that same line, real clam chowder is worth a trip to Boston.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Who's complaining about the accent? I'm talking about how it's difficult to sound sophisticated with a Southern accent. When I visit family in Illinois, the poke fun at my accent saying I sound like a hick.:mad: Anyhow, a for good example of a really thick Southern accent, watch the movie Joe Dirt. The scene where Joe talks to the old Cajun. I think the old Cajun is saying, "Home is where you make it." (I barely made that out the third time he said it AND I'm from the South.:eek:)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tell them to f*** off. Southern accents are hot.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Uh, what's true again? :confused:

:D

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have experienced the opposite

Northerners tend to be standoff'ish from my experience

Southerners tend to be very hospitable from my years living in Georgia

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

My opinion . . . so-called southern charm is "fake" friendly. But some southerners are genuinely nice, just as are some northerners and westerners.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Kansas was union so I suppose we are considered north?

24. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

It was a border state. Abraham Lincoln allowed slavery in it to be legal as long as it was in the Union.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What does slavery have to do with it?

That wasn't the difference between the north and south