Northbridge Temperature on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kr4nky, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kr4nky macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just purchased my first mac...the new 3.06 ghz iMac. I was wondering if I should be concerned that the Northbridge temperature is consistently in the 70s C when all other temps (including Northbridge 1) are between 40 and 60 C? I haven't tweaked the fan settings at all. I did notice that it gets pretty hot on top after a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jmj80 macrumors newbie

what program are you using? i use istat, and never seen anything above 55 except gpu after games. smcfancontrol is how i control fans

3. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

No you shouldn't be concerned.

The top left becomes very hot, which is normal.

4. kr4nky thread starter macrumors newbie

I use istat too but haven't modified the fan speed yet. I haven't played any games or run any cpu or gpu intensive programs yet...mostly played around with iphoto so far.

5. ucla95 macrumors member

Same problem with my new 3.06!

6. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

just do this...

Install SMCfancontrol and raise the default fan speed to about 1500 RMP or so. If you're doing way intensive things than raise it to at least 2000 RPM. Doing that keeps my northbridge between 55-60 degrees celcius.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My Northbridge is at 67c and has always been around that. There is no dedicated cooler for Northbridge so it heats up but that is not something you should worry about