Northern Lights Timelapse

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fujiko7, Feb 6, 2011.

1. sportster macrumors 6502

That would be cool to see! But, I'm thinking it would be a little to cold for me... lol

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Wow! I haven't seen them with an actual scale to them (the city). That's fantastic!

3. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

The lights are just one of the things I miss about living in Fairbanks, many nights during winter when coming home from an evening classes the lights would be out. The colors are amazing, and always awe inspiring. The way the lights shift from greens, to pinks, reds and purple an shimmer across the sky. Got to admit, I do not miss the -40º temperatures of February, or having to plug in the battery blanket and block heater on our cars from October to May. Got to admit the 90º above summer days were nice tho.:D

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

They're unbelievable seeing them in real life - I was actually lost for words first time I saw them.
    I'd just bought a D70, admittedly from gadget envy more than anything else as a rather talented friend had a Canon Rebel, but I decided to really get into photography and decided a trip to somewhere to a) inspire b) force me to get to grasp with understanding the theory behind photography.

So off to Iceland it was.

First night there we went "Northern Lights Chasing" which can be hit or miss depending on the ingredients it takes for an aurora to happen, but as luck would have it within 20 min the show began.

Then there was a frantic 10min as I tried to work out what actually worked to capture them! I got there in the end, until my friend with the Canon who had brought her tripod - and forgotten the baseplate. Ouch.

It's four years on and I'm planning my 3rd trip back to Iceland. Can't recommend the country highly enough. Admittedly my photo skills have moved on so if I'm lucky enough to see The Show again I'm sure I can do them justice. I may put up a couple of shots in a bit if they're still in MobileMe!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is amazing. I want to see this in person as well.

6. Tailpike1153, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Wouldn't mind seeing a bigger show

I saw a lesser aurora display in southern Minnesota 20 years ago. It wasn't as big as the shows in Alaska or Northern Canada. Took my breathe away. Almost as much as the girl I saw them with.:eek: If I have the chance, I want to see lights dance across the sky, again.

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Found a couple lurking on my work HDD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That last one I've since edited, removing the car lights at the bottom of the mountain - looks far better then IMO...

8. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Beautiful photos Piarco!
    Definitely on my list of things to see before I depart this world.
    I can't even see the stars where I am now..:(
    Gotta get myself to Iceland sometime.

9. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I lived in Iceland for a while, it's a starkly beautiful country. I once saw the sunset and sunrise in the sky at the same time. Anyone thinking of going to take pictures of the Northern Lights should make a note of the fact that at the time of year when they're most prominent there's probably only 4-5 hours of daylight a day!

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

:eek: 'fanks! They turned out alright considering I'd had the camera a week and that evening was the first time I'd taken the D70s off automatic! Those 10min gave me a crash course in understanding ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Although with what I know now I would have done things a little differently...

Can't recommend the country enough; great people, great landscape and surprisingly fantastic food! However avoid the rotten shark and brennevin...

I know how you feel about the stars, I live in London and it's rubbish for stargazing. I was floored about the sheer volume that are up their when I was in Iceland. Even if there had been no aurora there would have been a lot to shoot.

Sunset & sunrise? That would be mindboggling to see. I've only been there in late Oct/early Nov and keep meaning to go in the summer for the 24hr sun just for the novelty factor. I think I'll be hiring a car to drive myself around to do some shooting this time, open things up the the lesser seen Iceland.

11. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Friday night (last week) around Fairbanks, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one during a moose hunting trip, with my 40D on my ATV handle bar :)
    [​IMG]

12. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

Farmer's Loop?

13. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

No. From top of the flood project dam along the channel. The light at the right side of the photo is the small shack or entrance to the Chena Park area.

14. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

It was. In Reykjavík you get 24 hr daylight in the summer but the sun dips below the horizon for a short while. Strangely enough, the sun went down in the most glorious sunset I have ever seen and the sky was still fairly red there, yet the light of the sunrise a little further along the horizon was pale yellow. Unfortunately, all my pictures are on slides. It was a while ago. :)

15. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

I remember going fishing out that way:)
    My family lived on the Old Steese Highway out by the shooting range just off Hagelbarger near McGrath Road in 1987-1990 while I was going to UAF. Miss the lights, don't miss the water ... or the winter of 1989 for that matter. Wife was pregnant that winter with my youngest... It was Very Cold that winter. :eek: