Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by G.T., Oct 9, 2012.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

So I really never expected to see them anytime soon, while I know you can see them in Scotland it is much easier further north. Before I tried and tried but to no avail. Last night was the perfect condition, for once no clouds what so ever were in the sky and the moon was out of the way. I saw the alert and rushed outside. I have no tripod so needed to find things to balance on, I think it went quite well considering.
    My camera was able to pick up the distant glow (e.g., picture 1) and I shot this for a bit, and then I finally realised if I turned to the left I had more than just a glow to photograph (e.g., what is seen in picture 2).

Here are my two favourite pictures that I was able to get:

P1060272.jpg

P1060270.jpg

There are some more on my flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrethtigwell/

I'm kind of glad I haven't seen them before now, since you have to work fast and my camera skills ability is at a stage I knew what I was doing. Interestingly, this has been just the kind of thing I needed - a new subject - to really make the point I don't need to update my trusty GF1 just yet for a better camera.

What do people think? Did anyone else get to see anything?

2. salacious macrumors 6502a

love the first one, what was the location you shot these at?

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just beside Loch Tay

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Most excellent. I was up on the Isle of Lewis trying to catch some, but no luck. I'll be back in a few weeks to try again.

5. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

congats on the capture and thx for sharing, neat stuff.

7. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you :)