Norton Antivirus Hanging Around

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pastorius, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Pastorius macrumors newbie

So recently I had to reinstall Leopard, since my Macbook Pro started acting up and would refuse to go past the loading spinny-circle thing when I turned on my mac. That was all fine, and I loaded up all my files with Time Machine afterwards - problem is, I don't back up my apps (for fairly obvious reasons, the main being that they take up a lot of space). So I just re-downloaded the apps I use and I was on my way. However, for some reason Norton Antivirus still seems to be hanging around... and without the applications folder, I can't uninstall it (the uninstaller doesn't let me). I'm pretty sure it can still run, because QuickMenu is able to scan mounted hd's and such. Norton is becoming a real pain, and keeps quarantining one specific file and telling me about it... even though I can't actually start up Norton to delete the file. Any suggestions? I don't want to muck around with the registry before I get some input.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to mention that AutoProtect also seems to still be installed. And the worst part: both AutoProtect and QuickMenu still appear on my system preferences window!

2. mwcollector101 macrumors newbie

Same here ..

I hate it .. i dont know what to do, i tried to reinstall, restart and uninstall but it keeps on hanging and not responding. I have no choice but to force reboot my mac book. argh!!! i hope someone will help!

3. spooky mulder macrumors regular

just quick question.... why do you even have norton? Just curious.....

when you put the norton disk in, does it have an uninstall feature?

4. mwcollector101 macrumors newbie

finally ...

finally i did it.. after 2 wasted hours. So, i opened terminal and force quit the running process, i execute this command "lsof -l | grep sym". It will list all symantec application running as process, the check the PID and kill it (kill [PID]). Then, i reinstalled the software again, this time I disabled all "auto" and I scanned few files then I quit the program. In the application folder, i run the uninstaller and it works.

5. mwcollector101 macrumors newbie

Thanks spooky mulder for your concern...

Just quick question.... why do you even have norton? Just curious..... >> I'm have few trojans and i need to scan.

when you put the norton disk in, does it have an uninstall feature? Yes it has uninstall, but its pretty bad, everytime I run it, it causes my system to hang, everything gets frozen, i have to force reboot it (I think, i was so harsh doing it for 10 times)... it was really pain in the ass.