Norton Antivirus "Scan entire system" keeps scanning.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtbdudex, Sep 30, 2008.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Well;
    I had these pesty adware pop-ups 2-3 weeks ago, this was in my Mountain biking club website (and others), and yes I was using Firefox with pop-up blockers on:
    [​IMG]

I got latest version of Norton Antivirus, loaded it last night, started with the "Scan entire system" manual option.
    Well;
    It kept on scanning and scanning like the energizer bunny, I finally stopped it.
    Here is shows "over-scanning" the 1.7x million files, when I stopped it earlier it was on 20.x million scans and not stopped.
    [​IMG]

When I manually scan any other org structure except the computer name, system or library, it scans them very quickly.
    The root user name had over 700,000 files, and those scanned in a few short minutes.

So, a known bug in Norton Antivirus?

The reason I'm using Norton Antivirus in the first place is my computer has been acting sluggish on loading web pages, I have a separate thread here on that, so I was making sure no spyware/adware stuff present.
    Help: 24" Alum iMac internet connection wired vs wireless

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would never install Norton on a Mac to begin with.

I've had far too many headaches with antivirus software on OS X compared to the actual value of it.

3. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Well;

Norton did find 5 "issues", see below.
    I'm not sure what this means, however all I can say is my "other issue", slow web pages, appears to be solved immediately after this was "fixed".
    Help: 24" Alum iMac internet connection wired vs wireless
    Both FireFox and Safari now load snappy quick.

Any explain from the experts here what the heck is going on??
    And why a virus would affect my wired connection and not wireless???
    (from my other thread)
    I thought OSX was "bullet proof", so I've never used any anti-virus stuff since going to OSX from OS9 back in the day, now.......

(ha, it's 1:30am, I gotta get my butt to bed)
    [​IMG]

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So were you asked to install an internet plug-in recently? Have you checked your DNS settings?

Not to mention the internet plug-in trojan. :rolleyes:

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  6. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I'll follow-up on this tomorrow when I come home from work, I'm off to bed now.
    Thx for your advice.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'm with this guy, Norton is one of the worst things you can install on a Mac, Id do some research before installing such unnecessary crap first

8. bytodaystandrds macrumors member

Mr. OP
    1)Man, give your Mac a break and uninstall this piece of c%4p that's been called Norton AV... there should be an uninstaller in the package...

2)Tell your mountain biking club's webmaster that there is something wrong with his website... he should go and check the whole installation- it could be that he got a trojan.

3)If you really feel safer with something called Antivirus on your HD, go check out ClamXav.This guy is doing his best to offer a working and free solution for your needs and he'd be happy to get a small donation instead of giving your money away to Norton Corps. in order to lie to you "having viruses on your mac"...

Cheers!

9. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I've never really done anything "special" to my Apple Airport router settings, quick lookup at apple support gives the below info, I'll check at home (at work lunch now), but I believe its at default/factory settings:confused::confused:
    should I do something special/more "virus proof"?:
    Editing DNS and search domain settings

10. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I actually did that and he said it was on my side (I'm a 10 year member of the biking group and a regular there), plus I got pop-up ads when I visited quite a few other web sites.

Again, I thought MacOSX was bullet proof to these, and FireFox pop-up blocker still let them thru.....

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly the user isn't bulletproof. Then again there are plenty exploits that hang around too long involving internet plug-ins. Just be careful on what you click.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Not just click on, but what you accept to install.

13. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Well;
    My wife and I don't click on those ad's , and of course we'd never accept some "offer".
    However, it is entirely possibly my 6 year old or 4 year old did.
    We have made their own login accounts with time limits/specific web sites they can go to, but sometimes we leave the computer login to "parents" and I've caught them surfing disney.com/other.

We've since made sure we logout when leaving, I'll have to see if there is some inactivity logout timer to further enhance that possibility from happening.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Did you give your kids an Admin account or limited?

As far as I'm aware, trojans like those will only muck up your system or change your DNS stuff if you enter your password to install it.

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As has already been said - the best way to cure problems with Nortons is to delete it - its totally unnecessary on a Mac :)

16. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Uninstall Norton and install Adblock for firefox. Problem solved.

Norton, for both mac and pc, is one of the worst products ever made.