Norton Auto-Protect Disables Internet Capabilities

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Mar 29, 2010.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Every once in a while, Norton Auto-Protect gives me this box:
    Picture 1.png

I am well aware of what this means (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=828401) but I can't understand why my internet doesn't work after the block occurs. The box appears only when downloading torrents and after a block occurs, the torrents are still downloading - yet I cannot get onto Safari, FireFox, Mail, even Calculator! Is this the method of protection - to turn off the internet. If so how come my torrents are still downloading? Is it safe to Disable Auto-Protect?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't install Norton on a Mac. There's no need for it.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can't open calculator?

It may be blocking your DNS lookups. I don't do much torrent stuff, but isn't that all done with straight up IP addresses?

I don't know what the fix is, but that might be an issue to look into.

10.0.1.1 is probably the IP of your router... which seems weird that your router would be doing a portscan of yourself.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I agree with GGJ you now own a Mac there is no need for Norton unless you're looking to slow your mac down and attempt to cause problems which is obviously already happening.
    Also there was an article posted a while ago about Norton and a co-op with Microsoft. Microsoft apparently gave Norton all of their code to allow them to create a software that can easily insert worms into a PC system. We all know how Windows always has virus's and this is just one of the ways. Also Norton paid 650$ million to get the ability to do all of this (part of it's way of sending Ad's to your computer).

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Thats all I needed to hear! I'll just disable Auto-Protect.

I found this in my Network Prefs:
    Picture 2.png