Norton Ghost in BootCamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tex-Twil, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I was wondering if this is possible. I would like to backup my Windows partition using Norton Ghost but I'm not sure if the restore will work.

Did somebody try ?

Tex

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Umm, just a word of advice, NEVER USE NORTON FOR ANYTHING. The antivirus is basically a virus in itself, and all of their other products are a pain in the *** to get rid of.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yeah Norton apps are junk and dont do a accurate job of backing up your computer at all.

Heres what you should do that will ensure a quality and easier solution.

Boot into Leopard.
    Download WinClone (its free!)
    Clone your Windhows Drive or Partition (it will create a WinClone package of the used space on your drive or to whatever destination you choose)
    And then thats that for making an exact image of your Windows install.

If you need to install the image back onto a partition or a single disk I recommend doing this first:
    Open Bootcamp Utility, select the drive or partition you want to restore the windows image to, then open up the clone you made of your past windows install and then apply it.

I recommend the bootcamp utilty first as it will then recognize the Windows partition/drive in the start up manager of both XP and OSX and natively at Bootloader, since it creates that small partition for the MBR file.

goodluck!

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I"m not talking about the Antivirus but the Ghost program.

AppleNewton, ok tanks I will try that solution.

Tex