Norton Internet Security Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thekornreeper, Apr 8, 2007.

1. thekornreeper macrumors newbie

Everytime I restart I get an error that Norton autoprotect can't start, soon followed by a Norton Privacy control error. I reinstalled and that didn't work. I also made sure I had all the current updates. What is causing this? I hate error messages....

- Dave:(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get rid of Norton. You don't need it and it's poorly written software (hence the errors). When you say you reinstalled, I'm guessing you mean the app and not the operating system, right?

3. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I do mean norton... But I want some kind of security suite, esp since I have a windows xp virtual machine, and when windows is involved.... yeah.. I'm paranoid.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Norton on OSX won't help your virtual Windows one bit. Get Norton on the virtual machine if you please, but there's really no need for it on the OSX system.

5. skwij macrumors 6502

Toss Norton in the trash, remove all trace of it, and never install it again. Period. Same goes for MacAfee. They are both bloatware, horribly invasive, buggy, and just plain poor programs that cause more problems than they are "supposed" to solve.

Now, get yourself some nice FREE security apps for the Windows side. AVG free v 7,5, Avast!, Winpatrol, Ad-Aware, Sygate, Spybot Search and Destroy. All are good, all are FREE, and all "just work".

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I really hate the security suites from Norton and McAfee. NIS 2004 was very crash prone. I just use McAfee Professional 8.0 Patch 14 since we have a site license for it. Very little footprint and it has never bothered me.

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I hated NIS. I download that stuff when I first got into macs. That app crashed every other day. Get rid of it. OSX doesn't need it like the previous people have said