Norton Internet Security renew or buy new

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, May 5, 2015.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, my subscription of the Windows version of NIS is going to expire. It is cheaper to renew. In general, is it recommended to renew or buy a new one to get possible new features?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

While I'm pretty sure simply renewing will update your application to the newest version (it used to, back in 2000...), your best bet is to just uninstall it completely and install MSE. It's free for all non-business users and gets the job done.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The firewall that's part of MSE/Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is somewhat pathetic compared to that of Norton (my workplaces uses Norton 360 Premier on all systems).

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Best option is to buy new. When I used Norton, I would go to their site for a 30 day free trial of the newest version. Then I would go to eBay and buy a copy for MUCH less than they were charging ($10-20). When the CD arrived, I would just enter the license code in the 'trial' version (after the 30 days, of course).

Make sure you run their uninstaller before installing the new version.

5. hajime, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I am a bit confused about what they mean by renewal. There is a window showing up on the screen. It says "By choosing Renew your current subscription, you will continue to receive protection updates and new product features as available throughout the service period."

It is obviously that when we renew, we continue to get updates of virus protection definitions. How it means by "new product features"? Does that mean if I have NIS 2014 and choose to renew, I get NIS 2015 which is the same as buying new? What are the disadvantages of signing for a 3-year subscription?

Also, subscription on my family's PC (English version of Windows) will be expired this week but the subscription of the one on my laptop (running Japanese version of Windows) will be expired few months later. If I get the version for 3 PC (be it renew or buy new), will the English version of NIS or 360 be compatible with the Japanese version?

6. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

As long as you have an active Norton subscription, you will get free updates to the specific product you are subscribed to. So if you have an NIS 2015 subscription and NIS 2016 comes out, you can upgrade for free. There's really no disadvantage to subscribing for 3 years if you are happy with Norton.

I'm not sure if the English and Japanese versions of the software are compatible, however.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Norton is giving a buy a 2-year subscription gets 1 extra year free if I upgrade from NIS to 360. How is NIS compared with 360?

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Use Norton/Symantec products only if you want a virus. They're complete trash.

We used Symantec two jobs ago and not only could it never find and eliminate anything, but if it DID find something it wouldn't do anything with it saying "the file was write protected" or some crap.

I had to spend 3 hours on the phone with Symantec corporate support over a virus we had on a ton of our network drives. During that three hours I had to sit through while an "expert" technician told me to open files on my computer (despite me telling him repeatedly it wasn't infected) and having me read him text from random hidden files.

I eventually hung up and used that experience to convince our company to switch anti-viruses.

No one in IT with experience recommends Norton/Symantec.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I have been using NIS for over 10 years. No problem. I just found that they killed NIS and released two new products.