Norton Security

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulh1991, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulh1991 macrumors newbie

This is my first mac and I've always had virus protection on my computers. With my comcast internet I get free Norton security. I just noticed they have the option for macs also. Should I put it on my MBP or should I just leave it as it is.

2. simsaladimbamba

NOOOOOOOOOO. Don't ****ing do that. Norton is almost malware itself, and there is no need for AV software on Mac OS X, since no virus exists in public circulation that could affect Mac OS X.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No need for virus protection on a Mac, theres not much to look for.

Mac Virus/Malware Info. Compliments of GGJstudios.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

There is no need for it. If there was a need for anti-virus, avoid Norton like the plague as it is a huge resource hog. Symantec ruined Peter Norton's good name IMHO.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the link simsaladimbamba posted. Read it all. Then you'll understand why you shouldn't touch your Mac with Norton.

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

For Windows, use it. If a Mac is immune to malware, then why bother?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't even use it for Windows. There are much better alternatives.

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

It works great on Windows and has for the last few years.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Don't even use it for Windows. Choose something else like Sophos, MSE, or Kaspersky. Symantec is a resource hog. Like I said, Symantec ruined Peter Norton's good name IMHO.

10. wpotere Guest

Loaded it once on my mac just to play with it and it crashed it. I had to rebuild the box. I highly recommend you stay away from it.

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If you did a bit of research you would see that isn't the case at all.

12. wpotere Guest

It has gotten better over the years. Still Kapersky or even the one the MS makes is better in my opinion.

13. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Read up on it, you may be surprised.

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have done the research and I have run the tests (it will literally bring a system running heavy VMs to its knees, and this was a new loaded quad core as well not some stripped down bare bones). We used it at work and got rid of it due to resource intensiveness (although the latest versions are better than the version of years past). MSE is much better in regard to resources as is Kaspresky, and Sophos has one of the lower resource requirements/ usage and is highly regarded in the Corporate world. I have worked for numerous companies (I do consulting for a living) and none of them will use Norton for this exact reason (McAfee is just as bad if not worse).

15. wpotere Guest

I have... As I said, it has gotten better over the last few years. Now that they have moved to endpoint it is on par with the rest. That being said, they have a long history to overcome. I still like Kapersky and even the MS (free is good) better.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I respectfully disagree and find what you are saying quite contrary to everything I have read and experienced. It is extremely light on resources.

17. WilliamBos macrumors member

Just run ClamXav once in a while, you will be fine.

18. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Like I said, with the exception of my company (we had a site license for 100 seats and dumped it for all 100 due to the resources being consumed), I have not seen one other corporation that uses it (and within the last 2 years I have worked directly on or seen through other employees at my company over 150 Fortune 500 companies) and none, I repeat none, will use it. I am in the QA business doing IT consulting, so I am no stranger to the inner workings of applications and software. I would like to know any big corporations that are using it, as I am interested (since every IT manager I have talked to has the same opinion I and others on here have). Norton has a bad rap and that is probably why people don't use it, but hey fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
    I would be interested to read some of the reports you are finding to the contrary (and not just random posting on boards by consumers, but by people that are responsible for corporate accounts and security). I am not saying they aren't out there or challenging you, I would actually like to read them honestly.

19. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

HAHAHAHAHA, this has got to be the best joke I've heard in a long time.

20. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree with most of this except the endpoint comment. We had endpoint and what an awful, bloated piece of software it was. Boot times were slowed as were most things we needed to do (email, launch VMs, etc). When we got rid of it I thought I had gotten a new computer it was that much of a difference.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it is, it's been completely redesigned since I used it. I had used it for many years on Windows, but abandoned it for AVG after running benchmarks and determining that Norton was consuming up to 40% of system resources. When I ditched it, it was like buying a new computer. I've never looked back.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Norton is freaking AWFUL and literally is malware itself (seriously on Windows you have to download symnrt, a symantec/norton removal tool even if you uninstalled it from add/remove programs. I have TONS of experience with Norton and Symantec since the places I've worked loved to use them despite the entire IT department (myself included since I am IT) 's cries for something else.

Oh and no offense Applescruff your completely wrong on Norton. Its still terrible. I sat for three hours on the phone with Symantec while they dodged my questions on why their crapware wasn't finding viruses that were infecting machines on our network (or why it would see them, but not remove them). I never did get an answer.

I've dealt with Symantec and Norton for over 10 years and its pure trash. Expensive, resource intensive trash.
    And as others have stated you don't need antivirus or antispyware on a Mac, and on your Windows machine, get something better. Norton is literally useless and wont find viruses even if you have them (or it will find them, but only tell you about it and not actually remove them).

23. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

What are you talking about???

Quarantine is where it is at (that way you can use them for heuristics)!!

Okay... I can't believe that I typed that with a straight face!!

24. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I challenge you to prove otherwise. Obviously you are a few years behind in your experience.

No, I'm not wrong at all. Do some research on NIS 2011 and get back to me. You're talking about things a few years in the past.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I was about to type a HUGE SPEAL on heuristics too before I scrolled down LOL. For a while there after one of its stupid updates it was removing a file crucial to outlook 0_0. That was a pain....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.