Norton trial window won't dissappear

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by galileofigaro, Apr 9, 2013.

1. galileofigaro macrumors newbie

I went through the process to install Norton antivirus on my IMac OSX Lion but I didn't finish the process.
    Now every two or three days I get the little Norton window saying that I have like 33 thousand trial days remaining and I have to install, giving me the options of install now or later which is really annoying.
    I tried to remove it with App Cleaner and removing anything regarding Norton but still no luck.
    I will appreciate the help.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Look inside the next Folders, see if any file (.plist) contains Norton or Symantec.

/Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchDeamons
    /Library/StartupItems

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you elect to use such apps as AppCleaner, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

As for antivirus, Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would never ever put anything from Norton on my Mac.