'nortonautoprotec' help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ComputerDunce, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ComputerDunce macrumors newbie

I checked my activity monitor to try and find out why my macbook was always whirring even when I wasn't doing very much. I found that there is a process going called 'nortonautoprotect' with the user 'root'. I don't have norton antivirus (I used to but uninstalled it) and every time I try to quit this process (it takes up an enormous chunk of what the computer is doing) it just starts itself up again after a little while. Is there any way I can stop this from happening?

I don't know if I have explained this very well - I don't have much knowledge of computers.

Thanks.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Ok, first of all, inspect the process in Activity Monitor, find out where it is launched out of. Ok, make a mental note of that, but don't do anything to it yet. Now, look in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons for anything with Norton in the name. If you find anything, trash it. NOW, stop nortonautoprotect, and go to where it launched, and trash it too. If it was in some kind of Norton folder, delete the entire thing.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you do a Google search for the specific version of Norton you had installed before running their (of course only semi-functional) uninstaller, you should come up with some suggestions for how to fully get rid of it. For example, here's an older MacOSXHints.com post:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050815224226111

4. ComputerDunce thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks both of you - that seems to have worked. Thanks for your advice.