NOS 2007 Macbook Pro or Lenovo Edge

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pbollinrollin, Jan 1, 2012.

1. pbollinrollin macrumors newbie

I have received a new old stock 2007 Macbook Pro from my college as part of a fellowship. It is a 2.2 Core 2 Duo with 2GB Ram, 160 GB HD, Tiger, and the 8600 Nvidia card.

Before I knew I would be getting a computer from school, I purchased a Lenovo E520 (Thinkpad Edge) with an i3, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, and Windows 7.

I won't be running any intensive programs or playing games, just watching Netflix, using iTunes, and lots of Excel, Powerpoint, and Word, and possibly the simulation programs Maple and/or Comsol and Chemcad.

I was wondering if you think I should return the MBP to school (and get nothing in return except a $400 voucher for another computer) and keep the Lenovo, or keep the MBP and try to sell the Lenovo. I know the 8600 video card had problems, but I don't think my usage would cause the thermal paste/heating/video problems.

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

my guess is the school would probably service your macbook if there were any problems iwth it? and you are asking this question on a mac website so most everyone is probably going to see keep the mac, especially since all you'd get is a credit towards a new computer, and that's not really what you need, so you might as well just sell the lenovo and get cash if you only want one computer. the macbook should be fine for your needs.