Not 3G, but new iPhone announced at Macworld?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony8720, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Anthony8720 macrumors regular

I think it makes sense. I can't think of any other reason why apple hasn't announced a 16gig iphone, seeing as the touch already has it. Im not talking about a completely new iphone, just a "rev B". I have a late 06 MBP, and I think apple may follow the same approach with the iphone. The MBP was new, so they had some kinks to iron out after the rev a. They then released the same computer, with better ventilation and a few other upgrades...but it was still the macbook pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a "new" iphone, with the volume issues, and the negative screens and so on completely worked out. It would also be right in line with typical apple behavior, which is resolving issues in a new revision, but never really acknowledging they existed. I think it also explains where the 16gig iphone is going to come from. Just a thought.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

pointed out in another thread- FCC approval breaks the cover, so a new one is unlikely, as it'll kill sales for months.

unless (and i don't know this for certain), FCC approval isn't required anew on upgrades such as more flash memory..

3. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Yeh, could apple demonstrate the device in Macworld then submit the device to the FCC after they unveiled it to the public.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

From what I understand, the iphone and the touch both have 2 "slots".. The iphone uses 1 slot for its gsm chip and 1 slot for the 8gb flash memory... and the touch uses both slots for memory...

The only way i can see there being a 16gb iphone is if the price of the 16gb flash chip came down enough for apple to resell them in their phones for a decent price. (and then would we see a 32gb touch?)

5. skeen macrumors 6502

Do you think we might be able to upgrade our existing iPhones storage? That would make a lot of people happy...

6. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

I seriously doubt Apple will announce a new iPhone this soon. More likely will be the announcement of the 'Sub-MacBook'.

I'm not sure which volume issues you refer to, but this is the type of thing a software update can fix.

There will be a big update in Feb when the SDK is launched – I'm guessing alot of issues will be addressed then.

7. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

No way…flash memory is built-in.

I'm content with 8GB. I haven't even filled my iPhone fully yet.

8. Ipp macrumors newbie

I wonder how much 3G actually drains the battery compared to edge.

9. erandall38 macrumors 6502

8GB has been plenty for me. It should be for anyone, atleast when it comes to music. In the amount of time you could listen to 8 GB of music straight I am sure somewhere in there you can change out some songs.

They won't release a 16GB iPhone until there is a 32 GB (or something of that sort) touch because a equal iPhone capacity with touch would cannibalize touch sales.

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if so you would have to send it in and have apple do it... maybe that will be an option?? .. (not a cheap one though)...

11. paulo999 macrumors member

Basically right - waiting for the samsung 16gb NAND chip to ship on volume - that's my take.

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I don't think so.

Apple will wait until the 3G comes out and then spring the 16GB version.

13. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Quite probable - and I expect they will offer an 8 and 16GB model - with the 16 at the current price point, and the 8 a little bit lower.

I would expect a sneak peak of the SDK and whatever new features are due in the next update. I figure the Apple code gnomes are busy rewriting the whole OS so that things don't run as root, and get all the sandboxing and certificate signing up to snuff. They will probably toss us a few bones; cut-n-paste, new Google Map (with faux-GPS capability), and something like a custom Facebook app. Personally, I'd just like to be able to customize the home page (get rid of the apps I don't use - I'm looking at you u-tube). I'd like a conversion application like the widget - like to keep track of the exchange rate as some of my freelance work pays in dollars (which is not so good right now).

Any hardware - I expect around June or July perhaps. I suppose Steve may make an initial announcement just to beat the leaks from when the thing goes through accreditation.