Not a disaster, but definitely a problem: Broken adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luminosity, Jan 6, 2008.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Less than half an hour ago, I broke my MBP's power adapter by tripping on the actual adapter. The prong part came flying off, and won't go back in (or at least stay in). It looks like it came off on the grooves, but it still won't stay in.

I'm sure AppleCare doesn't cover it, but is that even fixable? If not, that'll have to be replaced, ASAP.

Tape likely won't work to fix it, because the prongs are also bent, and have been for some time. It already took a bit of forcing to get into most plugs, and so I don't think tape will work.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Picture? Is it just the part that plugs in the wall that is buggered? Could you not use your power cable (if it is)?

3. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Here's a picture of it.

Attached Files:

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Slide the remainders of the plug out and use the 3 prong power cable that came with your MBP instead. You can probably buy a new 2-prong adapter at an Apple Store.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

OMG:eek: I'm sorry I can't help you with this one. It doesn't look fixable and I'd be afraid of getting an electric shock if I ever get that fixed by myself, lol. I think for safety reason you should buy a new adapter and use the extension cord to prevent further damages.

6. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

I think I vaguely remember that extra power cable, only I don't remember where it is :(.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can probably buy one of those at an Apple store as well. I got an extra one at a charity shop for $1 once. Never know when it might come in handy.

8. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

As flopticalcube pointed out, its completely salvageable. All you have to do is pull out the male assembly from the adapter and slip on the extension cable that came with the MBP.

I think its unnecessary, but a new adapter will run you about $80.

9. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Damn, I'd better find that extension cable. I don't suppose those are sold on their own?

I've got a genius bar appointment in a little while, and I wonder what they'll say.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They will probably tell you to buy a new power supply. Before you tell them the problem, ask them if they sell the 2 prong adapter or the 3 prong power cable seperately first. If they don't, its new power supply time.

11. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Will do. I wouldn't have known to ask about that. Thank you :).

I'd like to think it's lurking around at home somewhere, but I can't be sure, and a day-long expedition to find it would be tedious.

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, once the remainder of the 2 prong adapter is pulled out, all the OP requires is a standard 'figure of 8' cable. Much much cheaper than a whole new adapter and can be picked up at your local hardware/diy shop.

One can be seen here.

EDIT: Realised you're in the US, so here is a link to one on eBay.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That might do as well. Are the receptacle prongs set at the standard width? Not sure how secure the fit would be but it would probably do until the original cable couble be found.

14. Kelly™ macrumors regular

15. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

I was in luck today :). A kind Genius replaced the prong part of the adapter for free. As a bonus, he explained how to use the other cord that came with my MBP, should I find it.