Not a fan of "tethered" jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mixtape86, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mixtape86 macrumors newbie

mixtape86

I purchased a jailbroken iPod Touch (32gb) about a year ago from a friend's friend. (I'm pretty sure he used Winpwn.) I absolutely love the thing. By the way, it's the one that doesn't have the internal speaker or volume rocker. It came with 2.0.1 and I never had a need to update the device until recently while playing with another friend's 3.0 Touch. The new features are fantastic.

I decided to pay the $5 and buy the 3.1.2 version for my iPod. I now love it all over again :D, however I miss it being jailbroken for themes and extensive personalization. I read that I can use a program called Blackra1n to jailbreak the iPod again, however every time I power it down or let the battery die, I will lose the jailbreak. I'm not really happy about that. How can I jailbreak my iPod Touch 3.1.2 without having to jailbreak it again and again every time my battery dies or I turn it off?

Also, I manage my music manually so is there a risk of losing my ~27gb of music when jailbreaking? I have an 8gb HD in my laptop so backing up the music is not possible. I usually delete the music from my laptop after transferring it to the iPod.

Thanks so much!

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

If your touch is a first gen with no speaker or volume rocker then it should not be tethered, the tethered jailbreak should only apply to the 3rd gen touch.

Perhaps your problem stems from doing an upgrade to 3.1.2 from 2.0.1 instead of a clean restore however a clean restore will delete your music.