Not a Mac, but can you help? :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by js81, Nov 25, 2009.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I'm looking to get a laptop for Internet usage only for around $400. I don't want a netbook (OK, I don't want an Atom/SSD/10" combo - bad memories...) and I don't want anything larger than 14" (really, 13", but I'd settle for 14") and 5 pounds.

I've been looking at these 11.6" CULV machines (Dell Inspiron 11z, Toshiba Satellite T115, Lenovo IdeaPad u150, and the Gateway whatever-it-is model). Has anybody used any of these machines, particularly the Dell? I can get the 11z for $329 refurbished (full warranty, BTW) with a 1.3GHz CULV Celeron, 2GB RAM, and 160GB HD. I know Celeron isn't exactly the best, but its Passmark score is almost double the Atom, so I think it'll suffice. You can also get a Pentium Dual-Core in the Dell, but its a $75 upgrade on the NEW one and its all but impossible to find refurbished (I have seen a few, though).

What's the group consensus on these? I know they run Windows, but it is (or at least will be after I upgrade) 7 Home Premium, and I may even try to hackintosh it. Give me your thoughts, good or bad.

Thanks!

2. cmoney macrumors regular

Kind of an old thread but maybe you'll see it. I just got a Toshiba T115, it's another in the 11.6" CULV class but with a Pentium instead. It's decent, not too slow at all, can run Hulu and Netflix for the most part. But it's still a PC and as such, it's got pretty low build quality compared to Macs (though it's pretty good for a "netbook"). The 'D' key started sticking within half an hour of opening it! The Wifi stopped working after 3 hours and wouldn't come back up until 2 reboots and a safe boot.

Yeah, I'd be pissed but I got it for free so can't complain. (Credit card points)

I haven't seen anything about hackintoshing any of these yet though...

3. ahm macrumors member

The MSI wind has been used for OS X for a long time.

There's a cool new Asus 10" netbook I saw with an Nvidia card in it. Supposedly it runs video quite well and you can even play old games (or World of Warcraft) on low settings obviously... but impressive for a little netbook.

4. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    An Asus UL30VT Ultraprotable sounds good for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om-vOWL5j9E

EDIT: never mind, you're budget is $400 and that costs $950. Still a great computer, it fits what you want exactly, albeit more than double than what you are willing to pay