Not A Mac but need some help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nitro1, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys and Gals. I love the forum and I can not think of a better place to ask this question.

My Girlfriend is buying a laptop for her 16 year old daughter. I have looked at the options and I just can't decide thought you all could help out.

Ok, the daughter needs a laptop for school work, SIMS games, Video's AKA Youtube and general web surfing.

Here are the options we are in debate of.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...lver/9724649.p?id=1219431368730&skuId=9724649

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy...lver/9197004.p?id=1219398342077&skuId=9197004

I Feel like the Envy is the better option but the i5 vs the i7 and lack of DVD drive has me in massive debate.

Please toss out any questions and concerns.

Thanks in advance.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry I don't think about Windows laptops much, but if I were looking for one I would have to consider a Lenovo ultrabook. I like the workmanship of the Lenovo notebooks over anything Dell or HP has to offer. Of the two you mention, the more expensive one has a slower processor but has a touchscreen.

With Windows 8, I suspect the user experience would be better with a touchscreen but as I've never used Win 8 (other than the developer preview) I wouldn't know how much of a difference it makes and I'd err on the side of more CPU and go for the less expensive model because it has the i7.

The other factor is the optical drive. This is really not necessary these days. I bought a late 2011 MBP with an optical drive and that's probably the very last Mac I'll ever buy with any kind of optical drive. I have a work-issued Dell Latitude which has an SSD drive and an optical drive that pops out when I'm trying to put my laptop in my computer bag. (almost) Every. Single. Time. Optical drives are like AOL cd's, 78 rpm records and buggy whips. Still, if all I cared about was performance, I'd tolerate the presence of the optical drive and go for the cheaper model.

Lastly there is the matter of a 5400 RPM drive. This is something you simply cannot live with on Windows. Windows sits there thrashing the hard drive all day long and within weeks it will slow to a crawl on spinning media. OSX gets a nice performance boost from an SSD but Windows often goes from unusable to usable (IMHO). I would consider ordering a notebook that comes with SSD or getting an ultrabook that comes with i7, SSD and no optical drive.

3. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Wow... I am sorry your post is about a PC. I know people is what they can get. I had a 17" Powerbook from 2008 and on 2010 I wanted to replaced it with the best Alien Ware laptop, 1GB of Vram against the 256GB my MBP had. 3 months later the Alienware was on eBay. Even the 17" MBP running the same Windows was more capable.

Today I still using the 17" MBP in my house, is besides my bed. 7 years and still running, and besides my TV I still have a 12" Powerbook I got in New York back in 2004. I do not use it because I have other computers but is in sleep mode and charging.

My point is that you may consider do a little effort and get a mac book pro. You may not see the benefit today but overtime you will. Apple creates their OS for their own hardware.

4. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I agree with the comments on getting a mac. But A the girlfriend can not afford it and also the daughter does not want it.

The computers I posted are BF deals and what can be afforded. I agree wit the SSD but those are not options. I used to sell computers and HP always seem to last the longest. Will never buy another Toshiba and Lenova is getting harder to find.

From what I can tell go with the Touchscreen if you want it but otherwise get the one with better processor. Correct?

Thanks

5. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I am guessing you are not too tech savvy, but most laptops today can do everything the average consumer want and more.

You will have trouble if you are using pro apps like making 3D movies and such. My laptop is from 2008 and it can do web surfing, school work, youtube, and more.

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can understand from the post how it might sound like I am not tech savy. But I actually build computers. Not as much as I used to, so I am a little out of the loop. Especially since I only mess with my macs and have not touched a PC in 4 years.

But I do know you should buy good specs because in the long run you might need it and bigger is not bad.

I am also looking for longevity in the computer she will get. That is why I am asking..

Thanks

7. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

You can get a nice refurbed air for only a few $ more.

8. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya but still $200+ more and only a 11 inch. She wants a larger screen.

I appreciate it but money is really tight and 500 is the max.

9. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Please don't take this the wrong way as you may have simply mis-typed, but i just looked at both options you gave and both exceed 500. One was $550 and the other was $699. I just checked the apple refurb store and they have a nice air for $729 which is only $30 more than the laptop you seem to prefer. I really do want to help (most of the time), but if those are the options then that is my suggestion.

If you need to stick to a $500 budget then none of these are an option and I would suggest an iPad air 2 (or air for budget) and a good bluetooth keyboard for doing more extensive typing.

If you don't want to do that and you are still limited to below $500 then you can find several discount laptops all over the place that will last you a couple years until possibly you can afford/are willing to pay for a higher quality one that will last longer.

Again, I am not trying to be mean at all, but as far as I can tell that is the situation you have presented so those are my suggestions.

10. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

No you are right. The black Friday deal on both of them is 500 bucks. But the listed price is much higher. No offense taken. I thought of a tablet but the daughter says she cant live without sims so a laptop is a must.

Thanks

11. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

12. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

14. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I understand. Thanks hopefully her mother and I can figure it out.

Thanks

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Well . . . having raised one kid (a boy) . . . for the information-gathering phase I suggest something along the lines of, "This guy I work with has a daughter about your age, and . . . . " which might produce the information you need.

Assuming you have at least high-school level acting talent.

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

which Windows laptop manufacturer has the highest resale value? I went once to buy one for the family. All the laptops looked and had the same specs with different brand name: Acer, HP, Lenovo, Samsung.... I just picked up a Toshiba . They were for $663 and I don't see it gaining much resale value in 2 to 3 years.

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

None of them will gain resale value. As far as losing the least, it's really more a matter of the model than the manufacturer -- business laptops will hold their value (and hold up!) longer than consumer laptops. I'm personally a big fan of Lenovo Thinkpad models.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The Sims will be power hungry whichever laptop you get her.

The Envy has the slightly better graphics card and more RAM. You can get a separate DVD drive fairly cheap. It will seem really annoying at first not having it, but I think once you see how much you're not actually using it, you'll get over it.

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    To the OP: why are you wasting Mac users' time asking about a non-Mac product in a Mac forum and in a subforum clearly labeled "Apple Hardware > Buying Advice"????

If you want to buy a Windows product, fine -- I'm sure there are a lot of sites out there devoted to Microsoft software and the various manufacturers which include Windows as their OS in their products.

20. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I am inclined to the envy.
    Both have a spinner so the more RAM the better. Certainly considering Windows expertise at crashing. Dvd is bound to disappear, also for games like the sims. CPU difference probably will not even be noticed. Touch screen seems the way to go so more future proof. Resell value of both options = 5 dollars and 10 dollars to have them picked up.

21. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why on Earth would anyone buy a Windows PC notebook computer? If you are on a strict budget buy a used Macbook.

For what kids do an iPad would be perfect. Why a notebook?

For school work she can use Pages on the iPad.

22. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I didn't feel as though my time was wasted. Most of us know something about the Windows PC world, and it's clear that some folks know a great deal.

Helping somebody out is never a waste of time, in my opinion.

I don't have the least problem with OP's question.

23. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The envy

The envy seems the way to go, swap in an SSD at your earliest oppurtunity and that will be one sweet little laptop.

24. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

which other manufacturer/model would you consider is a business laptop other than the Thinkpad?

I heard Thinkpad is made purposely to look the same so employees and workers don't judge each other between older and newer models :p

25. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It looks like a brick because it is built like one!

I've also seen nice HP models. Very sturdy. Not so much for Dell and Toshiba one's I've seen.