Not a Netbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kenrik, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Kenrik macrumors 6502

2. Shadnic macrumors newbie

Despite the annoying orientation of the video, that was very impressive and makes me quite excited awaiting my 11" to arrive. I'm thrilled it can handle those kinds of games with ease.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

4. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with reviewers like anandtech, its a netbook.

I go buy the basic premise that if it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then its a duck.

this baby is quaking and its a duck.

So its a great computer but it is a netbook, in my eyes, and most other people I know. If the apple fanboys get their panties in bind because of what Jobs stated about netbooks, so be it.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well, if you spend $1000, then you probably wouldn't want people to confuse it with a $300 netbook.

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

You know your mac comes with imovie, which can reorientate the video? Might as well make use of your purchase! ;)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't worry that big apple logo will prevent people from thinking that its a 300 dollar computer. If apple's are one thing, they are expensive ;)

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

LOL, so leave the price tag on it if that bothers you so much!

Also, I think you hit the nail on the head with this debate. Its about status symbol....people who paid this much for a netbook don't want to be 'downgraded' by being lumped in with the cheaper models.

Just a guess, but since the video starts out in portrait orientation and then you turned your iPhone into horizontal position thereafter....you did it wrong. The iPhone thinks it was filming a portrait video the whole time.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I do because MILFs did expensive macs over cheap netbooks.:D

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 for netbook

mind you ... best netbook ever :cool:

13. Kenrik thread starter macrumors 6502

Give me a minute i'm uploading a video of it playing Doom 3 on Ultra Settings @ 1366x786 4x AA and getting 100FPS.. :)

There is not a Netbook sold that can do that... sorry intel integrated graphics suck.

14. SidBala macrumors 6502a

15. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

As an owner of the 1.6GHz/4GB 11.6" MBA, I say unequivocally - best netbook ever.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um, the macbook air is not even close to a netbook. Trust me I have one and I can run Maya, ZBrush, Mudbox, Houdini, XCode, Corel Painter, Unity, Logic, Photoshop, etc on it.

A netbook could never handle my workflow.

Anyone who calls it a netbook doesn't own one.

17. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

lightweight machine with a reduced feature set over a contemporary conventional laptop, good for day to day tasks but compromised in favour of battery life and portability versus heavy lifting.

Im sure we'll get the usual 'but it doesnt have an Atom' but it doesnt have a low res display type responses but:

A neither did the original netbooks
    B increasing number of the current ones already have 11.6 displays

C All categories of computer evolve in terms of their hardware spec - otherwise anything that didnt have a 12.5MHz 286 and a DSTN display 'wouldnt be a laptop' and anything that didn't have a ROM cartridge port 'wouldn't be a game console'

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I do, and it is. Far better than my Dell Mini ever dared to be, but its still a netbook.

19. Shadnic macrumors newbie

Are you people seriously arguing with him for calling it not a netbook >.>

He's just saying this thing performs well, which most netbooks are known infamously to not do. Who cares if it's technically a netbook; depends on if a netbook is determined by size or performance ( I'd say size since that's what started the trend). So it's a netbook let's say. It's a great one that breaks the mold.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

No I do not own a netbook ... but I am impressed that you are able to do all that stuff on a netbook :cool:

21. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

when folks spend 2499 on a mac pro they dont seem to have any problem calling them a desktop, even though you can get cheap PC desktops for a few hundred bucks..

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Yeah, really!

The smartest post here yet!

23. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Not sure what defines a "Netbook" these days. Size? CPU? Benchmarks?

The 11 inch Macbook Air has a (very) slight edge over my elderly 17 inch HP NX9420. More RAM (when configured with 4GB), slightly better video card, faster bus speed, FAR better screen. CPU is only marginally weaker by about 400 MHz.

So, does that make the HP NX9420 a Netbook?

My iPhone has WAY more juice than my first computer (an ancient eMachines 400 MHz with 128MB RAM and a 32MB video card). Does that make my old eMachines desktop a cell phone? :p

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow I still can't believe some of you think its a netbook. Theres no way you guys have ever owned a netbook (I own three eeePCs).Please push your MBA like I did, you will be pleasantly surprised at their power.