Not a single complaint

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BESLC, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BESLC macrumors regular

I just thought I would take a moment and express how pleased I am with my new iMac. All too often you only hear the concerns, not the great things about systems in a forum.

Since setting up my new iMac I have been impressed with this system. I am not new to iMac, having purchased my first in 2007. My new system reminds me why I switched to Mac and have not looked back since. This new system is everything I had hoped for and more.

There is not one issue to complain about. The screen is beautiful, no yellowing or dead pixels that some have encountered. It is extremely fast and quiet. Mavericks has been a welcome surprise, I find something new and impressive about it daily.

I am sure I am far from alone in sharing this opinion. For those considering the iMac for the first time, or considering an upgrade...this is one fine machine.

My system specs are; 27"(delivered 1/8/2014), i7, 32gb Ram,780M Graphics, fusion drive running OSX 10.9 Mavericks.

2. CH12671 macrumors 6502

3. jcr918 macrumors regular

I got mine a few days ago maxed out Imac with 3TB fusion drive. Too many negative comments on this forum. I was concerned myself but I am very happy with my new Imac. It's faster then my 2013 early Macbook pro retina ssd and the screen looks just as good. :D

4. xraydoc, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Received mine on Tuesday. 27" 3.5GHz i7, 780M, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

Damn this thing is fast. Handbrake will encode a DVD (using my preferred Handbrake settings) at around 260fps average. It'll do 1080p BluRay at 66fps.

My two RAID arrays over Thunderbolt run 250MB/sec.

Even with Handbrake running full tilt, it's still extremely responsive without the choppiness I saw in my older Macs.

The screen is very nice - not perfectly uniform, so it does have *slight* yellowing towards the bottom right but it's only noticeable if you're specifically looking for it.

5. Whackman macrumors member

Great to hear! I'm thinking about buying a maxed out 27 inch myself.

Do you happen to use After Effects on it? Because i will use that a lot. And photoshop, but i have no doubt photoshop will run great. I just want to be sure the iMac can handle After Effects well.

6. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Glad to hear you like your new Mac.
    Unfortunately there are those for whom perfection is imperfect and feel the need to get on the nearest forum and bang on about it.
    I've been using Macs for over 20 years and I have never had a single issue with any of my Macs.
    In the same time with PC's, certainly in the early days, it was nightmare city especially with networking. Thank god that MS saw the light and finally made PC's as similar to Macs as they could without actually rebranding them.. :D

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't. Perhaps the OP does.

8. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Nice to hear OP. I get mine next week hopefully and I'm so excited for it. I'm without a desktop and been relying on a iPad but it's not just cutting it!

9. BESLC thread starter macrumors regular

I don't run After Effects, but do have PhotoShop and Light Room. My guess would be, on an i7 machine with 32 GB of Ram you would be fine with After Effects. I am hopeful someone can give you a definite answer on this.

10. BESLC thread starter macrumors regular

Whackman,

Here are system requirements for After Effects on Mac, seems you are good to go on the iMac.
    Mac OS

Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
    Mac OS X v10.7.4, v10.8, or Mac OS X v10.9
    4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
    5GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
    Additional disk space for disk cache (10GB recommended)
    1440x900 display
    OpenGL 2.0–capable system
    QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
    Optional: Graphics card from list below with at least 1GB VRAM and CUDA 5.0 for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D renderer
    Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online services.*

11. Whackman macrumors member

Thank you. Should be fine then. Maybe some people who do use it will stop by and share their experiences. Much appreciated.

Good to read the positive responses. Some of the threads might get people worried.

12. tgrays macrumors member

Really glad to see you so satisfied with your new iMac! What a refreshing change to hear someone happy with their purchase. I'm glad none of the problems that's been talked about around the forums is plaguing yours. We need more people saying they're happy. :p

Mine is supposed to get here tomorrow if I'm to believe the shipping tracker. I hope I'll be just as happy with mine. *crosses fingers*

13. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

Good to hear! Mine is being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait. I have never had any issues with any of our Apple products.

14. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

Same here. I've bought a 27" iMac and a 13" rMBP in the last 4 months. No complaints whatsoever. A real refreshing change after over 20 years of using Windows (Windows 8 was the last straw for me).

Shame the so-called "Superdrive" won't play a CD with a few minor scratches but that's an accessory, not a computer and I don't expect 100% perfection in this world! However, my two computers are close enough to perfect for me :).

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Glad to hear the good news...

It's nice to hear good news about the current iMacs. May you all get great use out of your new machines.

16. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Just got my 27" i5 w/512SSD last night. It's AMAZING. Especially compared to my 2009 13" MBP. Don't know if I have a yellowing issue and I don't really want to find out if I won't notice it in normal use.

Also, my BTO was assembled in the USA. Kinda cool.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've got a 3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 4GB GTX780M 27". Pretty nice that it's assembled in the States.

It's a great machine and is silent, except a barely audible whir when playing Battlefield 4.

18. BESLC thread starter macrumors regular

It's great to hear more positive reviews, keep them coming. I feel it is just as important to express the positives ,as it is to identify problems.

I know I waited through a few upgrade cycles before upgrading because my older iMac was still running great. My decision to upgrade I admit was more of an emotional decision(I want it:) ) than a necessity...but damn, I am loving this machine.

The performance on this generation iMac is truly impressive, not that the older generations were not great performers.

Again, not a single complaint or regret!

19. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Great computer.. Got an i7, 780m, 8 gb ram and 1 tb fushion.
    And i ordered a second one for my wife a couple a days ago.. she will get an i7, 780m, 8 gb and 512 flashdrive.
    Finally her noisy pc will be a gonner!

20. ventuss macrumors 6502

Did you compare the very bottom with the top? The yellow is there. It took me a month to really notice, but after I did it took me another month to stop noticing. :D

21. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

I have had mine for about six hours now, and it is fabulous:) Completely silent, no yellow that I can detect, and it is snappy as heck. My wife wants one now.

22. Viking23 macrumors member

I have had my 21.5 inch iMac for about three months now. 3.1 GHz Intel i7 with 16gb ram and 1tb Fusion drive. Previous to this I was a Windows user and had been for many years. The iMac is the best machine I have ever purchased and is much nicer to use than a Windows machine. It does everything I want and does it well.

23. milesc3 macrumors newbie

Now this is truly the type of thread I'd like to see more of on all forms! It's important for all to remember that the complaints come for a small minority and the vast majority of customers as satisfied and predominately happy with their purchase.

24. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

I am into my second day and I am totally impressed with this iMac. I think my wife is really getting jealous. We will be ordering her one soon. :)