not a single video chat app??? i call shenanigans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I think apple aint releasing videochat apps so facetime is the only way to do it. i mean tons of other apps are out, why wouldn't skype with videochat be out now too? or aim? or something!? Shenanigans!

edit: i realize the phone isn't officially out but other apps are out that take advantage of iP4 features.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

The phone isn't even out yet to 99.9% of planet Earth and you're complaining? Amazing.

3. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I'm hoping for skype...

I hope that Apple allows other Apps to utilize the front-facing camera for video chat. I have more friends on my skype with video capabilities, and I'm pretty sure none of them will get an iPhone 4 (anytime soon). Right now, face time is a useless feature to me for that reason only.

4. mike4 macrumors member

Hey Farva Whats That Goofy Place You Like With all the Goofy **** On the Wall...

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

You mean shenanigans ?

Aewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

6. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

Shenanigans?! your talkin about shenanigans right?!?!?!?!

7. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

just a little quicker to the draw. well played sir.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apple hasn't even released the FaceTime API, so no third-party devs have even been able to incorporate it, let alone submit such apps to Apple.

9. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah im complaining considering a ton of other apps are working and updated with new features.

10. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

You are so quick to blame Apple, when the real culprit is time. You have no idea how long it takes to develop an application for the iPhone, especially one as complicated as a video chat application.

Developers have full access to the camera equipment in iOS 4, and that includes the front facing camera.

11. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

you appear to be an app developer. Can't a developer access the camera and microphone and get a videochat up an running? or is apple doing silly **** with facetime only or something? if this is true i might return this and keep my 3gs. almost everyone i know wont have an iPhone 4 making the videochatting useless to me. At least aim or Skype would be awesome. This would be such a apple thing to do.

12. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a super newbie iPhone developer, im still learning how to code in my spare time, so i understand this stuff takes time but I was just thinking some company would get something out the door at launch, you know to be "first" like pandora and slacker and other companies seem to have a handle on things, i was thinking Skype would have something up and running, you know?

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

:D :D

14. irich25 macrumors regular

this

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

+1

If there were a company that was looking to make its name in video chat, then sure. Skype probably knows it can take a little time to do the app. Unlike Pandora's established credentials in home computers, there isn't a popular, established video chat over home computers (besides maybe Skype, as far as I know).

Edit to add: I have no interest in video chat, so I'm only guessing about skype.

16. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Adding multitasking support for an existing feature (like Pandora has done) is much much easier than adding a whole new feature, especially one as complex as simultaneous and live two-way video and audio.

17. ColinM macrumors member

Skype hasn't even put out their multitasking feature yet. You want them to start implementing video chat? You must get disappointed a lot in life with all your high expectations.

Maybe nobody has decided to write a videochat app yet? Maybe the API's aren't there. You want one? You code one and see how long it takes. :)

18. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

FWIW, Knocking Live freezes up on my iPhone 4, and only supports the back camera (probably cause it doesn't know that the front exists).

19. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

This, lets just hope for existing apps to get multitasking APIs first, then we can beg for camera apps.

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Also, the phone hasn't even been released to the mass public, so if a developer decides to create Video Chat app, I'm sure their going to want to test the app before they decide to release it.

developers releasing Multi-task updates to current apps have their 3GS to test them on, but non have an iPhone 4 to test front facing camera apps. Patients.

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Developers do have access to these things but I suspect many would be more interested in just integrating the open standard that Apple is proposing (but not yet available) rather than trying to "reinvent the wheel" right now.

22. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Ya because they revealed those API's months before in the 4.0 preview.

No one officially knew anything about a front camera until June 7.

23. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

This is correct. We (developers) didn't have access to the final set of APIs until just recently, and apps like that take a while to dev and test properly.

Patience. :)

24. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Do you think Apple will approve of a ChatRoulette-style app in the App Store?