Not able to change folder owner rights with chown on Mac OS X Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by contactpunt, Oct 2, 2013.

1. contactpunt macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an external hard drive used for storing and sharing files with other computers in the network. After a power failure I had issues logging into the workgroup manager and I noticed that LDAP wasn't running anymore. I had to recreate the Open Directory Master settings and it seems that all my previous user data and permission settings were lost.

Now I was able to get into the workgroup manager again and created new users and put them in a new group ADMINISTRATION. I would now like to give permissions to this group to read & write files on some folders of the external drive.

I wanted to start doing that, but noticed that the Admin user (which I use to login to the Mac OS X server) had no access to the folders on the external drive. Therefore I thought I had to grant the Admin user read & writing rights to those folders first.

So I open the Terminal and navigate to the Datadisk and use the command: sudo chown -R Admin .

This should change the owner rights recursively I thought. When the command was finished without errors, I checked the Datadisk and strange enough I now have access to some folders and not to other folders. So I navigated in the Terminal to one particular folder to test and used the same command, but nothing changes.

What could be wrong? Hope somebody can help out, because I don't have access to my data folders anymore so I'm not able to work at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

2. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

try the following

Code:
    sudo chown -R root:admin /path/to/datadisk
    root and admin are case sensitive and you must have a file path.

if that doesn't work also do these commands

Code:
    cd /path/to/datadisk
    find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;