Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I have a MBP that is running Lion 10.7.5. When I start up the laptop I enter in my password. That works. When I try to enable automatic login for myself it asks for a password. When I enter in the same password I use on startup it states the password is wrong.

The same thing happens when I try to change my password. It says my old password is incorrect.

How can I get the system to recognize my old password?

Thank you for looking.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I had something like this a long time ago. It was irreparable and in the end I had to create a new user. I guess you did already "the usual" like reparing permissing and flushing all cache files, right? You could additionally try this:

- Insert the Mac OS X DVD into your Mac’s DVD drive.
- Restart the Mac and hold down the ‘C’ key to boot from the DVD.
- You’ll see a language selection screen, select your language (English) and continue.
- Navigate to the ‘Utilities’ menu, select “Reset Password”.
- Select the Mac OS X boot drive.
- Select the original user account (not the root user!) and choose a new (!) password.
- Restart as usual.

Hope this helps.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks desertman.

Yes, I tried your recommendations already. O, well. I will create a new user account. Once that is done do I just move/copy all of my information to the new user account so I can have access to my information? Is there an easier way to perform this?

Fwiw - I had two other user accounts that are basically empty. When I tried to delete them it acted as if it did delete them by removing their name in the user accounts window but they always showed up again upon restart. Not a big deal but I thought I would share this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.