Not able to connect with 3G, only Edge

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DaneGuy, Jun 25, 2010.

1. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

I've never been able to connect with 3G even though my phone shows that I'm in a 3G area. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

Thanks

2. briankwest77 macrumors member

3. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. I've been all over the country: San Francisco, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh....

4. nodootabooteet macrumors newbie

I had this same problem. My Blackberry would show strong 3g connection but my iPad would show little to no signal. I had talked to my carrier (using Rogers here in .CA) and they did not know what to tell me! Talked to Apple and they walked me through several steps. I ended up doing a complete restore to factory settings as suggested by Apple.

In the end I walked into an Apple store with it and (even though I purchased online) and talked to my 'Genius' and he ended up replacing it. My NEW iPad works great! It turns out that I had a DUD all along.

They didn't replace it with one from a retail box. The replacement models are brand new, but come in a 'mail back' box. I couldn't have been happier!

Not sure if this helps...

5. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn. I hope I don't have to do that. I guess I'd have to restore it to factory settings since I'm JB'd. :(

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I've had a somewhat? similar issue that I haven't seen anywhere here., I jb too, and unless I activated 3G and maybe even left 3G antenna turned on BEFORE I jb, I could never get 3G service after I jb, only Edge.

but once I reset all to factory, made sure 3G was on, and then jb I always get 3G fine. If I did not do this, I always only got edge.
    It was odd. works perfectly but only if I do the set up as indicated. I haven't found anyone else having this issue.
    I had had a genius appointment after tech at Apple and ATT could not get 3G connecting, after lots of resets etc. later I starting toubleshooting myself, then I unjailbroke, reformatted and 3G worked fine. I cancelled my appt seeing as it was related to the jb. then I just turned on 3G first, it all works fine.

7. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

So you had to do the JB while you were connected to 3G? I'm not sure I have 3G at my house......

Also, I'm not sure I saved my pre-jb settings. How do I go back to factory?

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

There definitely was an issue with my jb sequence and getting 3G signals. I tried it 2 or 3 times. I'm a little confused as to what happened, but I could definitely replicate this problem so I don't think it was an error. Both times I jailbroke and did not either activate 3G or turn it on first I could never get 3G to connect after the jb, only Edge. Just turning on the antenna may have been good enough. It seemed like it was not a signal issue, more like the 3G function was interrupted or blocked. I tried it multiple times and always got consistent results, -no 3G when I jb with 3g turned off, and always 3G when I jb with 3G turned on.
    for factory settings, in itunes you do restore.
    good luck, wondering what you found out.