Not able to delete XP partition.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SolitaryHowl, Jul 31, 2012.

1. SolitaryHowl macrumors newbie

May 1, 2011
    Bootcamp Assistant won't let me delete my Windows XP partition.

Let me start with a little background, first. I had 4 partitions before this: Windows 7, XP, Mac OSX, and a 'Storage' partition.

When I deleted Windows 7's partition, XP wouldn't work. After trying for days to try to get it to work, I just gave up and decided to reinstall it.

Only problem is, BootCamp won't let me uninstall it. I've tried following the steps here:

But Bootcamp comes up with: "The Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Here's my partition setup. Please note that 'Free Space' is where my Windows 7 and Storage partitions were before I deleted them. 'Bootcamp' is XP.

What do I do and how do I remove XP without reformatting the whole drive and reinstalling OSX?
  2. eeclipse16 macrumors member

Jun 19, 2012
    are your formatting it in Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) ? It looks like its in NTFS... or will in not let you switch it?
  3. SolitaryHowl thread starter macrumors newbie

May 1, 2011
    It was/is formatted in NTFS. My 'Storage' partition was FAT32, so I could use that to transfer files from OSX to Windows and vice versa.

It won't let me switch it in Boot Camp assistant, if that's what you mean.

If I go to Disk Utility, go under the 'Bootcamp' partition and click on erase...then it'll bring up reformatting options. Is that what I do to make BC Assistant recognize it?
  4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2012
    This is a completely non-standard partition arrangement, I can't tell how you got into this situation. Macintosh HD should be the first partition. Resizing JHFS+ volumes can only occur when freespace is immediately behind the Mac HD volume, it cannot be absorbed if the freespace is in front.

To confirm/deny you can post the results from this command, highlight the pasted text and click on the # button in the forum toolbar so it formats correctly with code tags.

sudo gpt -r -vv show disk0
    diskutil resizevolume /dev/disk0s2 limits