Not able to delete XP partition.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SolitaryHowl, Jul 31, 2012.

1. SolitaryHowl macrumors newbie

Bootcamp Assistant won't let me delete my Windows XP partition.

Let me start with a little background, first. I had 4 partitions before this: Windows 7, XP, Mac OSX, and a 'Storage' partition.

When I deleted Windows 7's partition, XP wouldn't work. After trying for days to try to get it to work, I just gave up and decided to reinstall it.

Only problem is, BootCamp won't let me uninstall it. I've tried following the steps here: http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/26/how-to-delete-a-boot-camp-partition/

But Bootcamp comes up with: "The Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Here's my partition setup. Please note that 'Free Space' is where my Windows 7 and Storage partitions were before I deleted them. 'Bootcamp' is XP.

[​IMG]

What do I do and how do I remove XP without reformatting the whole drive and reinstalling OSX?

2. eeclipse16 macrumors member

are your formatting it in Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) ? It looks like its in NTFS... or will in not let you switch it?

3. SolitaryHowl thread starter macrumors newbie

It was/is formatted in NTFS. My 'Storage' partition was FAT32, so I could use that to transfer files from OSX to Windows and vice versa.

It won't let me switch it in Boot Camp assistant, if that's what you mean.

If I go to Disk Utility, go under the 'Bootcamp' partition and click on erase...then it'll bring up reformatting options. Is that what I do to make BC Assistant recognize it?

4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

This is a completely non-standard partition arrangement, I can't tell how you got into this situation. Macintosh HD should be the first partition. Resizing JHFS+ volumes can only occur when freespace is immediately behind the Mac HD volume, it cannot be absorbed if the freespace is in front.

To confirm/deny you can post the results from this command, highlight the pasted text and click on the # button in the forum toolbar so it formats correctly with code tags.

Code:
    sudo gpt -r -vv show disk0
    diskutil resizevolume /dev/disk0s2 limits