Not Able to Install ML from USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMan48, Feb 19, 2014.

1. MacMan48, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

MacMan48 macrumors newbie

Hey, been a lurker for a while now but I have multiple problems with my wife's machine.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Mini rant with questions to follow.

MPB 4gb ram, 500gb drive, 2011 on SL.

Followed the instructions for creating a bootable usb flash for a fresh ML install. (There are about 20 tutorials for this I used the method outlined in the Apple Pro Training by White which is the same as about 12 of the 20 methods I reviewed.)

Restarted the machine, holding the option key and got to the usb.

Went to Disc Utility and did an erase of the HD.

Closed the Disc Utility and went to the menu on the flash drive for install ML.

Clicked Install and it asks for the Apple ID and password and began to download ML from Apple. I fool or monkey if you prefer, around for a while trying to figure a work around to get ML to install from the USB drive/stick, with no joy.

How do you get the machine to install ML from the super groovy usb flash, stick, jump drive for a install without the download?

I know you don't know me, but, I assure you that I followed every step in the instructions to the letter(which is probably the problem) and still I get hosed.

Sorry, I'm beyond frustrated trying to solve other problems with my wife's machine, and I thought a clean install and restore would put us in the sweet spot. Wrong-O.

Well, any help you can give or words of comfort and peace would the helpful.:D

Or alternatively, if you want to flame or pile on that's ok too. It's really not my first day on the beach as it might appear from the moron level I function on with regards to this problem.:eek:

Thanks for listening.
    Mods, if I posted in the wrong area would you please move this to where it needs to be.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

What instructions did you actually follow, maybe a link or the steps taken?

The two main ways I know of to create a bootable Mountain Lion installer from the Mountain Lion installation .app you download from the Mac App Store. Which are either the automated DiskMaker X method or the manual restore of the InstallESD.dmg to the memory stick method. Both of which are explained on this page:- http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/.

I've not used the automated method, but I have used the manual restore the InstallESD.dmg to a memory stick method which works fine.

3. MacMan48 thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded ML, went into the applications. Found the ML installer app., copied the InstallEDS.dmg to the desktop.

Drag and dropped the InstallEDS.dmg and copied the InstallEDS.dmg to the 8gb stick and good nite Wally, here I am.

I don't have the time to make the screen shots of White's "Apple Pro Training Series for OS X. but I can return in an hour and give you those screenshots. Sorry gotta run for a bit but thanks for the reply.

4. MacMan48, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

MacMan48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Method Used for Creating Bootable USB Drive

This is the procedure I used that was requested by Dark Dragoon. Hope you can make some sense of it.
    Thanks for checking this out.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The instructions look ok for creating a Mountain Lion installer, as long as it booted it should have worked. So I'm not sure what went wrong.

Just checking, I know you said ML/Mountain Lion in your posts, but you weren't trying to do this with the Mavericks installer instead were you? As Mavericks requires a different procedure from Lion and Mountain Lion to create a bootable installer.

6. MacMan48 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's Mountain Lion. Thanks for taking a look.