Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I bought a Monster iStudioLink instrument cable today. All I had to do was plug it into my laptop, start GB2 and pick my instrument and record. Unfortunately, it is not recording. My line in is not muted. Under system prefs I see the bar moving as I play, but nothing is recorded in GB2. I did everything that their help file said, but no joy.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I should say that the plug does not appear to fit in all the way, but i checked it with my mic and it works fine so I am completely unsure.
Thanks!

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
when you add a new track you must use the real instruments settings, if you're already doing that then I'm not sure what the problem is. Unless there is something different in GB2 from GB I don't know about.

good luck

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
thanks. after a while I figured that out, but still no joy. I wonder if Apple retail stores would be willing to help. Is this something you think they could help with?

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Can you give an indication of what instrument you're playing and what Real Instrument Track you've chosen? Is Monitor on? (Apologies if you're an expert in all this but I'm playing to the lowest common denominator here...:)). I recentlt upgraded to GB2 and I haven't had a problem.

This cable upi bought is for guitars right?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
margotspop said:
Can you give an indication of what instrument you're playing and what Real Instrument Track you've chosen? Is Monitor on? (Apologies if you're an expert in all this but I'm playing to the lowest common denominator here...:)). I recentlt upgraded to GB2 and I haven't had a problem.

This cable upi bought is for guitars right?

I am using a guitar cable. It says it is a guitar cable at least.
In garage band:
I go to Track and delete track. Thus Deleting the default Grand Piano
I then go back to Track in the file menu and click on New Track. I choose Guitar>Clean Electric
Then At the bottom where you see the LED counter thing, there is a button that is gray with a red dot in teh middle. I click that, figuring I am recording.
All the while my Fender Strat Electric 6-string guitar is plugged in with the volume turned up to 9. It is plugged into the audio in plug on the left side of my powerbook g4.

I do not think you are being elementry. I seriously do not know what I am doing, but I was under the impression that it was not this hard.

You said something about Monitor...I am going to read about that as I have no idea what button that is.
Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
margotspop, after you said something about monitor I went back and that was off.
Thank you! While there is tons of static, at least it is recording.
Poorly, but it is happening.
Thanks!

jessica. said:
I am using a guitar cable. It says it is a guitar cable at least.
In garage band:
I go to Track and delete track. Thus Deleting the default Grand Piano
I then go back to Track in the file menu and click on New Track. I choose Guitar>Clean Electric
Then At the bottom where you see the LED counter thing, there is a button that is gray with a red dot in teh middle. I click that, figuring I am recording.
All the while my Fender Strat Electric 6-string guitar is plugged in with the volume turned up to 9. It is plugged into the audio in plug on the left side of my powerbook g4.

I do not think you are being elementry. I seriously do not know what I am doing, but I was under the impression that it was not this hard.

You said something about Monitor...I am going to read about that as I have no idea what button that is.
Thanks!

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Good job! Soory about the typos in my last reply - even I found it hard to understand.

Monitor is 'off' by default whenever you create a new track. As for static, they might be feedback or some other 'effect' of the track you created. Try creating a 'basic' track and see you how get on with that.

For what it's worth, if you find that you like GB and want to put more time into it, it might be an idea to get a 'proper' audio interface - one that has guitar inputs, microphone inputs and even MIDI inputs. Well worth the money.

Good luck.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Make sure you have it set to record through the line in port and not the internal microphone. I made that mistake myself... You change this in the System Preferences.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
I have a related guitar problem...I plugged everything in fine, and it does record, but it only records in the left...stereo sound. It’s difficult to explain, but when I play back the recording, it only plays from the left speaker, meaning it only recorded from the left. I’m not sure what the problem is, but I’ll keep looking for the solution. Thanks in advance for any help.

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
When you created the track to record, what Input source did you choose? Stereo? Mono?. Are you panning to the left or right?

Just some thoughts.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
margotspop said:
When you created the track to record, what Input source did you choose? Stereo? Mono?. Are you panning to the left or right?

Just some thoughts.

The input is stereo, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

dframac

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2005
Recording Volume Problem

I have a similalr problem when trying to record a real instrument track using an iMic... the track volume slider is grayed out. I change input options in both GB preferences and System Prefs/sound... no joy

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Stampyhead said:
Make sure you have it set to record through the line in port and not the internal microphone. I made that mistake myself... You change this in the System Preferences.

Make sure your Garageband prefs are set correct input/output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.