Not able to remove Windows through bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by nirmal3913, Aug 11, 2017.

1. nirmal3913 macrumors newbie

nirmal3913

Hey mates,

So I have been trying to remove windows which I had initially installed.

Whenever my iMac restarts by default it opens a black screen "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key"

Unfortunately, in "boot camp assistant" I cannot see any remove option. (check attached)

Also, disk utility shows there is no more windows partition (check attached)

If I have already removed everything, why does it still show no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key" when I restart my pc?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Nirmal

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Did you use the normal process in the Boot Camp assistant to remove the windows partition properly? Or did you use some other method to remove the windows partition, such as Disk Utility (which can work, but leave you in the state that you have now, or maybe not even bootable, even into macOS) The ONLY method that you should use to remove a Boot Camp partition, is the Boot Camp assistant.

Can you still boot to macOS? If you can, then make sure that your Startup Disk has your macOS drive selected.
    That should allow you to boot to macOS without trying to use the EFI partition to boot Windows (which likely still exists)

Also, can you post a screen shot of a terminal window, showing the results running the command
    Code:
    diskutil list

3. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Hi,

you could try the Paragon Hard Disk Manager (there is a free trial version) to fix BootCamp.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-mac/

It worked for me after upgrading to High Sierra and APFS. It should reappear in System Preferences/Startup Disk and also the BootCamp Assistant should recognize it then as removable.

There are two options. I just used both of them, so I don't know which one fixed it. The options show up if you click on the "gear wheel" of the BOOTCAMP NTFS partition.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.17.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.10.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.10.55 AM.png