Not able to run KOTOR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukta, Dec 31, 2011.

1. lukta macrumors member

I just bought Knights of the Old Republic from the mac app store and after I downloaded it it wont launch. I checked the system requirements and it seems like it says it wont work with a mac hhd that is coded as mac os extened (case sensitive). And upon second glance that seems to be what my new macbook pro 15 inch (with the discrete GPU) has.

Is there any way to get this to work or to return the app? I don't want to have just wasted my $15. And who would have thought that I can run any game from 2011 but not one from 2003...

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Actually that's quite common. I think nowadays you need some DOS emulator to run games from the 80s and early 90s. And many mac games from the early 2000s stopped working since they were written for PPC, for which Apple dropped support.

3. lukta thread starter macrumors member

I bought it from the mac app store...

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I strongly doubt your formatting is what is causing the issue here, what are the requirements and what computer do you own?

Edit: Just did a wee bit of searching on my own, you game came out in 2003, thus it is coded as a powerPC app as Apple didn't do the Intel switch until 2006, it will not run on Lion as Apple has dropped support for PowerPC(they kept at it for another 6 years, gotta give them that).

Either you find a way to run a snow leopard install with Rosetta, or you're SOL. Your pick.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My comment was somewhat more general. I know that you bought it from the app store, and you probably have correctly identified the problem.

How did you figure out your filesystem is case sensitive? System profiler says "Journaled HFS+" for my filesystem, on a 2011 15'' MBP. After a simple check in the terminal it seems to be not case sensitive.

edit: @snaky69
    The App store game site explicitly states that the game only runs on Intel Macs.

6. ShoG macrumors member

I would also like to know what spec 15" mbp you are using. I just bought Doom 3 and i think they (doom3&kotor) are ported to Mac by the same publisher, Aspyr. It works flawlessly, I was gonna get kotor too but if it's not going to run properly then thanks for the heads up. My mbp is 17" 2.5 i7 4gb 128ssd

I definatly see why you are upset, these are fresh new games ported specifically for playing on the Mac by Aspyr, should be plug and play so to speak. I'm thinking this is an individual problem and there could be something interfering with your ability to run it as there are close to 800 Mac app store reviews on it.

BTW, I just bought my mbp in this month and have not used boot camp or any virtual machine software yet, but you arent trying to run it under a Windows partition correct? (not even sure if that's possible, but I've never used dual boot ever)

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I play COD Modern Warfare, which was ported by Aspyr as well. However, my file system is:
    There is no case-sensitive about it. It's the same way it was when I got it except that I encrypted the HDD using filevault. You can check the file-system using "disk utility."

8. KDDatabase macrumors member

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Actually, HFS + Case Sensitivity can cause problems for some applications and most will have warnings in their documentation. Though, not all post this as prominently as they should.

Um, are you suggesting that the Mac App Store (an Intel only app) that runs on an Intel only OS (SL, Lion) would sell PPC only applications? Really??

-P

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

You quite obviously misread me, I said the opposite.