Not able to run Update Combo and other apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Niktosko, May 28, 2012.

1. Niktosko macrumors newbie

Hi,
    due to some problems I got with apps on my MBP, I decided to run the disk utility. But it cannot be opened "because of a problem".

Than I tried to install Update Combo and also without succes. What now? Should I completely reinstall Mac OS??? I am not very happy about that! Or is there some other way to repair this problem?

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you have the computer's gray install discs, you can run Disk Utility from there. If you don't already have a backup, this would be an excellent time to ensure you have one in place before considering a reinstall of the OS.

3. Niktosko thread starter macrumors newbie

I will check if I have it. If I do not, what to do than? Is it possible to download the content and produce those discs?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How old is the system? If it shipped with Lion (10.7) you would not have the discs as the utilities would be accessible from the recovery partition, but if it's older than a year but less than five, and you cannot locate your discs, replacements are available as purchases from AppleCare.

5. Niktosko thread starter macrumors newbie

I have located the discs and ran the verify disk tool. Without any errors. Than I ran the verify permittions tool and there have been many issues. So i have left them repair.
    After restart I tried to start my apps from HDD like Evernote or Disk Utility and I get the same window with message "... cannot be opened because of a problem".

So what now? :/

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Create another user account and try installing the combo update. If it fails there, you know that you'll have to reinstall. There are two different approaches to reinstalling. The first is a repair installation, which should only affect the possibly damaged parts of the operating system. This is what you get by clicking through the install without altering anything. If it ends up being that you need to do an Erase & Install, you have to erase the drive manually using Disk Utility then go through with the install.