Not able to update to 5.1.1 using Redsn0w. [Need to save BB]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rakan, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Rakan macrumors member

Well long story short i was following the steps in order to create a custom firmware in order to set my self up to restore via itunes while preserving my baseband (1.59.00). I rely on the ultrasn0w unlock so it's very important for me to keep the phone on this baseband. At first i tried and got an iTunes error 14?
    What i want to do at this point is just leave my iPhone on 5.0.1 (gsm) and go on with my life. Ive tried to kick out of recovery/DFU mode using TinyUmbrella (for which i don't have any of the blobs on this current computer). I tried irecboot and ireb but nothing seems to be working. I am trying to update via iTunes but i keep getting an error right as the status bar is at about 10 percent on my phone.

Is there anyway i can preserve the baseband and updating or leaving my phone at this point?
    What if i find the shsh blobs in one of my backups? And according to cydia i have had my blobs backed up since 4.0.1.

Any suggestions?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. Rakan, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Rakan thread starter macrumors member

sadly yes. I have done all those steps but i keep on getting an error when trying to update. Ill let you know in a sec which error it is as i try it once more.

Error 3194 when trying to restore using 5.0.1

I'll try once more with 5.1.1 :(

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, try 5.1.1 since apple is still signing that.
    Make sure your hosts point to apples servers.
    Use tinyumbrella.
    Go to advanced, set hosts to cydia and UNCHECK that box.
    Then restart itunes, put your iphone in pwned dfu and try the custom 5.1.1 ipsw again. If you get an error after installing the custom ipsw try using tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

5. Rakan thread starter macrumors member

is there a difference between 9B206 and 208? Are both of them being signed by apple? I've gotten an error trying to restore a custom firmware (208) but i did not have tiny umbrella running. I just turned on tinyumbrella and the box was already unchecked. Shall i start the tss server and try again? I know that usually we use the tss server to restore/update using a blob we have but i do not have any blobs on tiny umbrella. Basically just looking to update to the most current version of iOS using a custom firmware to preserve baseband. Kicking out of recovery doesn't seem to be doing anything.
    Thanks

6. Rakan thread starter macrumors member

Ah, Well i dont know exactly how i fixed it but luckily i have many computers. I tried using a windows computer and it did not work. Then i tried using a macbook and it still did not work. i tried using another mac book and for some reason it worked. Both of them are macbook pros on the same iOs and i used the same tools.

Weird.

Thanks for all the help

7. smotania macrumors member

smotania

You should try with ifaith but you will need shsh blobs. You can try to extract them with ifaith form dfu mode and then build a custom firm with the blobs. That should do it. Thats if u r with win cuz ifaith is for win. I heard that redsnow can do it too but ive never done it before Cuz my gf has win pc. I hope thats helped.