Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
When I click on the Apple icon then click on About this Mac no version is displayed. I know the version is 10.4.10.

Other problems:
When I open iTunes I receive the following error:
"You cannot use this application"iTunes" with this version of Mac OS X".

When I open iMovie 06 I receive the following error:
"iMovieHD requires Mac OS X v10.3.4 Panther or later. For more information on upgrading your computer, visit www.apple.com/macosx."

I have deleted the .plist files for iMovie and iTunes w/o success.

Any suggestions on fixing this problem would be appreciated.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If the version number is not present it will cause problems as you have noted.

You need to check for the following file

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Open Terminal.

Type in:

sw_vers

WHat does it return?

Code:
yellow$ sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.4.11
BuildVersion:   8S165

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you yellow

after typing in sw_vers in the result was

***** ERROR **** Can't get version dictionary

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmm...

A complete reinstall of the OS might be in your best interest here. Frankly it will be the fastest way to correct this problem.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you Yellow.

Wow...are there any other options you can recommend other than to re-install?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It doesn't report anything because the "sw_vers" command reads the file that was previously shown to be missing.

You could create it by making something like the following in textedit and saving that as SystemVersion.plist and putting it in the right place. You may want to find the appropriate build number as it may cause some problems if you have the wrong info in there. You need to set the encoding to Unicdoe UTF -8

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>9B18</string>
<key>ProductCopyright</key>/
<string>1983-2017 Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>Mac OS X</string>
<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.4.10</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.4.10</string>
</dict>
</plist>

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, that file missing may just be a symptom of a major underlying problem. One of which we could spend a lot of time working on, when the shortcut would be a reinstall.

Of course, it may just be that file missing.

But I must note that it's VERY unusual to have that file disappear without some user interaction or serious problem.

<string>1983-2007 Apple Inc.</string>

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you xUKHCx.

If by chance the the build number is not correct where can I find other build numbers that may be correct?

fyi - I was just told that the user of this computer may have tried to install a Leopard update.....not good.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
It doesn't report anything because the "sw_vers" command reads the file that was previously shown to be missing.

You could create it by making something like the following in textedit and saving that as SystemVersion.plist and putting it in the right place. You may want to find the appropriate build number as it may cause some problems if you have the wrong info in there. You need to set the encoding to Unicdoe UTF -8

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>9B18</string>
<key>ProductCopyright</key>/
<string>1983-2017 Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>Mac OS X</string>
<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.4.10</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.4.10</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm sure that this would work and I'm not trying to take away from your great advise but if might be better just to reinstall just incase the OP accidentally makes a mistake, would want anything bad to happen. (PS this is just what I would do because I really don't know my way around terminal and would be afraid that I would mess something up that would effect my data, hard drive, etc.)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Well, that file missing may just be a symptom of a major underlying problem. One of which we could spend a lot of time working on, when the shortcut would be a reinstall.

Of course, it may just be that file missing.

But I must note that it's VERY unusual to have that file disappear without some user interaction or serious problem.

Granted, I suppose I should've followed up my statement with what I would've done next. (I meant to but forgot by the time I completed my post). I would put the system version file back in place then I would apply the latest combo update.

techlover828 - no terminal is needed to do that, hence why i posted that way of doing things.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thank again xUKHCx. I copied your code and will very shortly put that file into Core Services.
I will let you know what happens.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
On second thought (thank you all) I will backup all important data then I will attempt to copy the SystemVersion.plist over.
If problems persist I will re-install the OS.

I can't thank you ALL for your help. I have once again learned so much from a great community.

I will update you on what happens.

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
Silly question I know but do you have OSX installed on an Apple Computer?

Never a silly question.
Yes OS X 10.4.10 is installed on this system.
Thanks.

brainwave89, this was an evasive answer. Peace asked if you were using an Apple computer, and with good reason, because all the problems you describe could be attributed to using a hacked version of OSX on a PC.

Perhaps you could tell us which machine you are actually using?

Cheers!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I know....she can't remember. I'm sure she did. O well.

That means, "Yes I did, but it didn't work, and I thought if I deleted this file it would forget about this 10.4 rubbish and install 10.5 but then bad things happened and you came and fixed it."

Try updating to 10.4.11. That'll hopefully recreate and fix all the broken files strewn about.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Update
I copied a new SystemVersion.plist file to Core Services.
In about this Mac I asked to check for software updates. It found none.
I downloaded 10.4.11 and when I installed it it displayed a javascript error.
Enough for me.
I am no re-installing Tiger. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you all for your help and concern.

I re-installed Tiger which went very smoothly and then updated to 10.4.11.

It is opening iTunes and iMovie w/o any issues and all the original files are there also. Sweet.

I will explain to the user how to properly seek out updates.

Have a merry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.