Not able Uninstall Win XP using boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pallavi0703, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pallavi0703 macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello All ,
    I have Mac OS X 10.4.11 with windows XP installed along with it.
    I want to uninstall win XP and remove that partition and now wants to use all disk space for mac OS .
    I start win XP on my machine . And using boot camp , I use Remove option . It says successfully removed . But Win XP is still there on my machine .
    Please tell me how should I remove the windows XP and allocate all disk space for Mac OS.

Thanks & Regards ,
    Pallavi.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Mac OS X -> Boot Camp Assistant -> remove boot camp partition

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Also note this is a one-way trip. Boot Camp Assistant Beta no longer works in versions of OS X prior to 10.5. So if you want to add a Boot Camp partition back in the future, you will need to upgrade your OS to Leopard.

4. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello All ,
    Thanks for reply.
    I check out my Mac OS X Install Disk 1.
    I check out Mac OS X Install Disk 1/system/Installation/Package folder in Disk 1. But there is no any BootCamp.Pkg . I try out check this folder using terminal and Go->Go to folder menu is menubar, but I am not able to find the boot camp package.

I downloaded bootcamp1.3.dmg .But when I try to open it, error is "disk image failed to mount , Reason is no mountable file system." I try this with inserting black CD but same error is shown.

I downloaded Boot Camp 2.1 . BCUpdateXP.exe gets downloaded. and while running BCUpdateXP.exe , It gives me dialog box choose application to run BCUpdateXP.exe

Please tell me from where to download bootcamp for Mac 10.4.11 and which version of bootcamp is suitable for Mac OS X 10.4.11 . and any other necessary things for removing Win XP.

Thanks & Regards ,
    Pallavi.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Have you tried going into disk utility,click on the drive in the left pane ( the one with all the letters & numbers not the icon ) click on the partition tab then the partition you named XP ( it should highlight blue ) then the minus sign ( - ) underneath the partition, a drop down should appear click remove

6. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello Neil321,
    Thanks for reply.:)
    Using Disk Utility I select the root volume with numbers and letters.
    In Partition tab , for both of my partitions Macintosh HD and Untitled Only 'Options' button is enabled other buttons split , delete , Revert , Partition are disabled.
    For me Untitled partition is having read only access.

Ok.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Pallavi.

7. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

One solution: Use SuperDuper to copy the 10.4.11 OSX off to an external drive.
    Reboot to the external drive. Use disk utility to re-partition you internal drive to one partition. Use SuperDuper to copy your OSX system to the internal drive. Reboot to the internal drive.

Neil

8. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello neilhart,
    Thanks for reply.
    I have already took backup of both the partitions. And I don't have any other intel mac machine.
    Now I just want to uninstall Win XP.
    Any other solution ?

Ok.
    Thanks,
    Pallavi.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Neil's suggestion doesn't require another Mac

10. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello All,
    Now using Superduper I set copy Macintosh HD to superduperbackup disk image.
    But it took lots of time for copy. I am waiting for more than 3 hrs but still copy is not complete. On my Macintosh HD there is no any user defined extra folders.
    Please tell me whether I should wait for more time ?

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depending on the amount of data, a cloning can take several hours. Let SuperDuper! do its job, take a nap, read a book, watch a movie.

"A watched drive never clones"

12. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

I start superduper , when I had some user created folder in it At that time it took 4 hrs for copying those folders to superduperbackup disk image.At that time I don't have time to look after it. So I stop superduper application.

Now Today , I start superduper with removing all user created folder.
    After an hour I get alert that disk is full . Close some applications.
    and in application list there are only two options Superduper and finder.

So I need to close Superduper. I can't use other options for copying since not a register user of superduper.

Please tell me any other solution ? for unistalling win XP.

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Back up all your files etc somewhere & re-install tiger

14. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello All ,
    Now I formatted my Macintosh HD and reinstall it.
    Then using superduper I made a copy of Macintosh HD.
    At the end of completion I get the alert that disk has no space please close some of the application.
    There were only two options superduper and finder . So I close the superduper.Superduperbackup has contained almost every thing as Macintosh HD.
    Then I restart the mac with option key press. But I do not get any option for Superduperbackup. Only two options are there Mac and Win XP.
    There is superduperbackup.sparseimage.

Now Please tell me how to make one partition from two partitions(Macintosh HD and Win XP).
    I could not get what you are saying about external and internal drive

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You have three options.

Either:
    1. Do a lot of reading about the differences between internal and external harddrives and then finding out about partitions and how to deal with them.

2. Find someone who does know about this who can explain it to you while sitting at your computer.

3. Just go to a bloody Mac repair shop and pay someone who knows what they are doing to fix it!

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Try holding down the C key when booting up and look in disk utilities,failing that refer to post 5 or one of the three options TBi just posted

17. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hi,
    Thanks for reply.
    I will try to understand the interval and external driver concept.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Nothing difficult to understand. Internal drive is the hard disk drive (HDD) inside your Mac. External HDD are any that are in their own enclosure, outside of the computer, and connected to it via either USB or Firewire, depending on what ports you have available.

Attached Files:

19. pallavi0703 thread starter macrumors newbie

pallavi0703

Hello JohnNotBeatle,
    For external HDD , Can I use normal HDD which we use for installing windows. Or is it different ?

20. hajime macrumors 68030

I used iPartition to remove the Windows partition. Very easy to use!